Demo Dungeon of Funk, DEMO Update! Metroidvania/platformer.

S

Snugglefry

Hey party people! I've been working on this game since July 2019 and I have reached the point that feedback would be quite helpful. I am currently working on a demo I plan to release Jan 1st no matter where it's at and just go with it.

Its called Dungeon of Funk and is about a knight named Sir Goldhelm who returns to his homeland to find out that demons stole the kingdoms funk!

It's a light metroidvania. More like an action platformer but it has a big ol dungeon map, skill and stat powerups, and a handful of bosses so far. A lot of the game is "done" and I'm starting to move into the tuning, tweaking, and polishing phase. Realistically that still seems like months of work though. :D

Keep an eye out for the demo if you are into to this type of thing, and I'd appreciate any type of feedback.

Thanks for checkin this out!

Toque

It looks great. At least watching from my phone.

the shooting seems odd. A castle dungeon platformer turns shooter. If it looked and sounds more like magic it would make more sense to me.

the idle animation seems off but can’t see why on my phone.

watching again....

it seems like a castle. The antagonist is green blobs? I guess a little story of what’s going on would help. Right now I’m thinking I’m a guy stealing treasure from green blob in their castle dungeon. Why do blobs live in a place with doors , torches as do treasure chests? Maybe a boss battle would help there. Where’s the demon?

Last edited:
S

Snugglefry

s_map.gif

This is the map of the dungeon. It's color coordinated for now. Each color represents what areas are accessible with the platforming skills the player has. This helps me keep track of where things are at.

The only area that is not yet built is the orange part at the bottom of the image. It is intended to be the last zone. I want to have everything working in tip top shape before I build the final zone.

Other Changes include.

-A small and silly intro scene.
-Sound Effect and Music volume tweaks.
-The first few bosses now have some sound effects.
-Started NPC dialogue and some narrative.

That is all for now!

Any feedback is appreciated.

Attachments

Morendral

The game looks great! Visuals are very nice, the graphics all look professional and feel like they go together. Without playing it i can't give better feedback on controls or gameplay.
T
only thing i think needs a lot of work is the score. The music just feels like it should be in a Sonic type game in an city, certainly not in a medieval dungeon. It was hard for me to get into the atmosphere of it. I would rather turn the music off while playing it if i could.

It's a very promising title though!

S

Snugglefry

The game looks great! Visuals are very nice, the graphics all look professional and feel like they go together. Without playing it i can't give better feedback on controls or gameplay.
T
only thing i think needs a lot of work is the score. The music just feels like it should be in a Sonic type game in an city, certainly not in a medieval dungeon. It was hard for me to get into the atmosphere of it. I would rather turn the music off while playing it if i could.

It's a very promising title though!
Heyo, thanks for the feedback. I will be releasing a playable demo Jan 1st no matter what. Just gotta get over myself and get it out there.
As for the music, you can turn it off in the settings.
A bit later in the game the music gets more atmospheric.

Here is a little vid with more spooky music, the part with different music is around 1:15.

S

Snugglefry

Got a little session in today after work and added a bit of polish to a few things.

-UI has been cleaned up a bit.
-Door sprites have been updated and now animate when triggered.
-A few surprise optimizations happened with some draw function calls. Sweet. Bonus!
-I had a bone headed blunder with the lightning surface drawing over top of the UI and textboxes. This has been fixed. I feel like a rascal for not noticing before.
But hey, it is what it is, and it ain't what it ain't.

Yrbiax

Hey, i tried your demo.

Platforming was quite challenging at times :D
Bosses seemed to be rather easy thought.

I got stuck inside wall couple of times as moving platform pushed me into it. So i had to restart.
I was able to get throught wind obstacles by spamming roll, not sure if thats intended.
When i was trying to figure out where to go next, i had to look at map really carefully. You could make unvisited areas little bit more visible in map.

I made it to room that said this area is under construction so i assume thats were demo ends.

Japster

This looks GREAT! - obviously a lot of thought and effort put into it, lots of different features, traps, moves, etc - I wish you the best with it!...

....and I'm always a sucker for automaps.... nice...

S

Snugglefry

Hey, i tried your demo.

Platforming was quite challenging at times :D
Bosses seemed to be rather easy thought.

I got stuck inside wall couple of times as moving platform pushed me into it. So i had to restart.
I was able to get throught wind obstacles by spamming roll, not sure if thats intended.
When i was trying to figure out where to go next, i had to look at map really carefully. You could make unvisited areas little bit more visible in map.

I made it to room that said this area is under construction so i assume thats were demo ends.
Hey, thanks for playing and leaving feedback! It's really helpful and appreciated. :)
I agree 100% bosses are pretty easy. My decision to release a playable build for Jan 1st was made around Dec. 20th so I was rushing to get a bunch of little things cleaned up first. Fortunately though, January is Boss month!! My development schedule for January was going to be bosses either way. A few people have commented on the bosses so I'm going to make a sincere effort with them.

If a platform pushes the player into a wall, design wise the player is supposed get crushed and die. I must have missed placing a solid object in the wall so this functions properly. Thanks for pointing this out!

The rolling through wind is unintended, I could do a quick fix, but am trying to think of a smooth way to code it. Kudos on figuring that out though! hehe

Yes, the under construction sign is where the demo ends. :)

S

Snugglefry

The first boss has been updated!

-Players can no longer block boss attacks.
-The ogre now acts quicker by reiterating through behavioral logic sooner.
-A blast of projectiles will now shoot when the ogre is at the apex of a jump.

I died a few times in this gameplay video. I feel it's an appropriate level of difficulty for a first boss but still has plenty of room for polish and tuning. Any feedback is always helpful.

A few other updates have happened as well.

-Player attack inputs will trigger the combo animations one frame earlier. This makes combat feel a lot cleaner and responsive, but makes regular enemies a bit easier.

-Players can now exit any dialogue by pressing the ‘grapple hook’ button.
-While paused players can toggle between the map screen and the status screen by pressing left or right.
-The rolling through wind barriers has been fixed. :D

The downloadable demo has not yet been updated but will be approximately Jan 15th.

S

Snugglefry

Updated the second boss, The Executioner! Very similar state machine to the ogre but also has a dash attack and shoots 2 extra projectiles at the apex of a jump. The player has the Shoot ability and a couple heal charges by now but this boss can hit fast and hard. Took me several tries to take him down. I'm not satisfied with the particle trail at the moment, but wanted some sort of visual cue a dash attack was coming.

S

Snugglefry

The Minotaur boss is more Beefy! ;)

I didn't change this guy too much compared to the first 2. Mostly boosted stats and made the projectile faster. Two or three hits and the players toast.

Other updates:

-Hitting any boss has an additional particle burst for more visual feedback. It's not in this particular vid though.

-The map screen has more funktionality. Players can now scroll and zoom in/out. Still not satisfied with it though... UI is wacky sometimes in gamemaker, but I'm sure we all experience that at one time or another. I've been focusing more on controller inputs than keyboard and I find it awkward to map keyboard controls for a side scrolling platformer...

-Added some sound effects to projectiles, environmental objects, and player states that are in effect after the demos playable content.

-Gameplay footage of the game beyond the demo will be coming soon. :)