• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Dumb Questions That Don't Deserve A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Posho

Alright thankfully for me I got to snatch an entry to the Beta and everything looks good so far. :)
I wanted to drop a bunch of threads about my questions but I think it's healthier for the forum if I don't go full spamlord. So, here I go:

• How do you maximize a Code Editor window?
  • Any idea about what the new Clean Up event is for?
  • No idea how Resource Views work.
  • What is "Generate Project Images"?
  • How to do search and replace on a single script?
  • Sleep margin? Enable Steam? (in Options)
  • Are all the new changes interface-wise? What changes were made to the engine itself?
  • Noticed the d3d library is simply not there anymore. Is it only because this is the free version? All the SWF functions are still there though SWF sprites are premium-only. Maybe they have a new name? I searched on the Help section and found nothing.
  • Any way to create assets without having to do: right click then create?
  • Will we be finally able to assign SWF sprites as 3D textures?
Any ideas about these?

Also, I didn't want to make a thread about this too, but here are some of the new features I noticed while fiddling around and I am so excited about:
  • Window Resize event
  • Onion skin on sprite editor
  • Drop-down origins on sprite properties
  • Full code projects
  • Notes
  • Sound Mixer and volume slider on Sounds
  • Easier configurations
  • Built-in variables are green now
  • Multiple workspaces
  • Bigger previews when assigning sprites (and a search bar)
  • Layouts (or even better, project stays where you left when you close/open)
  • Hitting Run if a game is already running compiles anyways
  • Global search and replace (excellent for renaming variables)
  • Now it's Game FPS instead of individual Room speeds
  • Default draw color

Seriously though, everything so far looks pretty neat. You guys did an excellent job.
Is there anything I missed?

xot

GMLscripter
GMC Elder
How do you maximize a Code Editor window?
In the upper-right of the window, next to the "X" icon, is an icon to maximize the code window accessible from the workspace tabs. To minimize, you can drag the code tab to another workspace tab. There may be simpler way to do this.
See: Help > Editors > Scripts

Any idea about what the new Clean Up event is for?
The Clean Up event is for extensions and systems that need to release memory or other dynamic resources. In legacy GM, this is often done in Destroy or Room End events.
See: Help > Editors > Events

No idea how Resource Views work
Resource views allow you to create a new resource tree that shows only the resources you want or need at some point in development, such as just objects and rooms, or just images. Right-click in the new view to add resources from the default view.
See: Help > Quick Start > Resources

What is "Generate Project Images"?
See: Help > Tools > Project Image Generation

How to do search and replace on a single script?
Doesn't seem to be implemented yet.

Noticed the d3d library is simply not there anymore.
The d3d functions have been deprecated. Use the newer matrix and vertex buffer functions that are already present in GM:Studio 1.x.

Any way to create assets without having to do: right click then create?
There are keyboard shortcuts for this.
See Help > Quick Start > Shortcuts > General IDE

Last edited:

Posho

In the upper-right of the window, next to the "X" icon, is an icon to maximize the code window accessible from the workspace tabs. To minimize, you can drag the code tab to another workspace tab. There may be simpler way to do this.
See: Help > Editors > Scripts

The Clean Up event is for extensions and systems that need to release memory or other dynamic resources. In legacy GM, this is often done in Destroy or Room End events.
See: Help > Editors > Events

Resource views allow you to create a new resource tree that shows only the resources you want or need at some point in development, such as just objects and rooms, or just images. Right-click in the new view to add resources from the default view.
See: Help > Quick Start > Resources

See: Help > Tools > Project Image Generation

Doesn't seem to be implemented yet.

The d3d functions have been deprecated. Use the newer matrix and vertex buffer functions that are already present in GM:Studio 1.x.

There are keyboard shortcuts for this.
See Help > Quick Start > Shortcuts > General IDE
Hey, thanks.
For some reason the maximize button shows up now. Weird, I could've sworn it wasn't there.

Also, what do you mean by the d3d functions being deprecated? You mean they won't be in anymore?

Another thing:
How did you get the GMC Elder title? I used to have a God-knows-how-old GMC account in the older forums.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Actually... the "clean up" event is like a C++/C# destructor. It will be thrown every time an instance is destroyed, no matter where or how. Not just for extensions. This is in the manual :)

In fact.... all these are in the manual.

Also...
This is nuts. SWFs are vectors, so they can not be textures. If you want that, you have to render them to a surface and then use it as a texture.

xot

GMLscripter
GMC Elder
Also, what do you mean by the d3d functions being deprecated? You mean they won't be in anymore?
That's right. The d3d system is really outdated. The newer 3D functions are faster and much more powerful.

How did you get the GMC Elder title?
The "GMC Elder" title is for former staff. I moderated and helped administrate the GMC for a number of years.

Posho

This is nuts. SWFs are vectors, so they can not be textures. If you want that, you have to render them to a surface and then use it as a texture.
Yeah, this is exactly what I'm doing at the moment. But it's becoming pretty elaborate since rendering SWFs with tons of subimages can lead to long load times in the game.
I'm starting to work on a system that pre-renders all of the sprites once the game is launched only for the first time, but that might not work for the mobile exports of the game.
Tricky, but I will figure it out. :confused:

Also, too bad about SWFs not working natively as 3D textures, that was really my only wish for GMS2. Also, is @xot right about the d3d functions being dead for good?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
  • How do you maximize a Code Editor window?
Click the maximise button?

• Any idea about what the new Clean Up event is for?
Read the manual.

• No idea how Resource Views work.
Read the manual.

• What is "Generate Project Images"?
Read the manual.

• How to do search and replace on a single script?
You can't currently, but it'll be in a future update.

• Sleep margin? Enable Steam? (in Options)
Read the manual.

• Are all the new changes interface-wise? What changes were made to the engine itself?
Read the helpdesk FAQs: http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/216757408-Getting-Started-With-GameMaker-Studio-2

• Noticed the d3d library is simply not there anymore. Is it only because this is the free version? All the SWF functions are still there though SWF sprites are premium-only. Maybe they have a new name? I searched on the Help section and found nothing.
Read the helpdesk FAQs: http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/231738328-GameMaker-Studio-2-Obsolete-Function-List

• Any way to create assets without having to do: right click then create?
Yes. From the Resource Context Menu at the top of the screen when the resource tree is focused.

No.

No offense, but these questions are simply wasting everyone's time as 90% of them could have been answered by yourself with a tiny amount of looking at the manual and the helpdesk FAQ's.

Status
Not open for further replies.