• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Dualshock 4 slot on Windows

Timorite

Hi.

When I plug a DS4 controller on Windows using DS4Windows, I have two controllers detected by Game Maker, on slot 0 and 4. The first one has "XInput STANDARD GAMEPAD" as a description, and the second one has "Sony DualShock 4". I've searched in the DS4Windows options to see if something could indicate this behaviour but haven't found anything. Just checking if anyone else has this and if it's normal.

I assume DS4Windows does this to have both configurations available, but I fear it might mess up the slots numbers assignment if a player plugs both a DS4 and another XInput controller.

Thanks.

Roldy

This may or may not be your issue, but DS4Windows and Steam don't play nice. Steam will drive a Dualshock controller and DS4Windows will trick windows into thinking it is an XBox 360 controller.

If you have Steam installed, then uninstall DS4Windows and see if that helps you out.

Timorite

This may or may not be your issue, but DS4Windows and Steam don't play nice. Steam will drive a Dualshock controller and DS4Windows will trick windows into thinking it is an XBox 360 controller.

If you have Steam installed, then uninstall DS4Windows and see if that helps you out.
Thanks, I didn't know Steam detected the DS4 by itself if launched. I see it appears on slot 4. So, I guess DS4Windows simply adds the slot 0, and somehow adds slot 4 if Steam is installed, even if it's not launched. (I would need to uninstall both one at a time in order to check properly.)

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I personally wouldn't be surprised if it isn't a case of XInput devices showing up as DInput devices. All XBOX controllers show up as both, and therefore end up in two slots. My input system specifically checks the lower numbers first when mapping input so it doesn't try to use the weaker DInput versions. XBOX pads were nerfed by Microsoft as far as the DInput driver. The shoulder button axes are smunched together as a single input, and I think there is something else too(can't remember).