Dropping the 2 from GameMaker

XanthorXIII

Would it make sense to drop the 2 from GameMaker and go back to calling it just GameMaker: Studio with versioning being the version that we are on, like 2.3.7? Just a late night thought.

Gamebot

To be honest I like the fact you have a GMS and a GMS2 this way you know exactly what your running. If GMS 3 is ever deployed then that should be GMS3. Let us pray they DONT change the name to something wonky like:

Game Maker Special Edition

That would be extremely confusing and I would definitely have mixed feelings about continuing with such nonsense.

O.Stogden

I have no idea if this falls under speculation, but it'll probably lead to it. :p

Business-wise I'd imagine they'd choose just Game Maker, if they were to choose anything for a long-term subscription name. That is the actual name of the product, the Studio is just added on as a version of Game Maker. Plus it makes it simpler now it's on a subscription model. Having iterations of a subscription product is always a little strange.

Nobody

I have no idea if this falls under speculation, but it'll probably lead to it. :p

Business-wise I'd imagine they'd choose just Game Maker, if they were to choose anything for a long-term subscription name. That is the actual name of the product, the Studio is just added on as a version of Game Maker. Plus it makes it simpler now it's on a subscription model. Having iterations of a subscription product is always a little strange.
“GameMaker”

Game Maker is ambiguous and probably extremely hard to trademark.

Although Gary Kitchen released “GameMaker“ in 1985, so I’m probably just full of crap.

Don’t take legal advice from me (or anyone on this forum for that matter) :p

O.Stogden

“GameMaker”

Game Maker is ambiguous and probably extremely hard to trademark.

Although Gary Kitchen released “GameMaker“ in 1985, so I’m probably just full of crap.

Don’t take legal advice from me (or anyone on this forum for that matter) :p
GameMaker is already trademarked by YYG. It says it on the GMS2 splash screen. I imagine it was previously trademarked by Mark Overmars a while back when the program was just called Game Maker. As it wasn't really known by the version number until Game Maker 6 or so. (I.E. the window title was just Game Maker)

XanthorXIII

I'd say keep the Studio to make it professional sounding. GameMaker by itself has been used by two products before Mark, with Garry Kitchen and RDS Game-Maker. RDS Game-Maker
I actually had the RDS Game-Maker back in the day and that was a lot of fun to use, me and another friend had a bunch of fun with that one.

Gamebot

I will add that "Game Maker" is very generic and there are plenty of "Game Makers" out there. Meaning the developers themselves or someone saying they used an IDE ( The game maker ). I know a few times back in the day I tried looking up "Game Maker" and got a bunch of junk of people simply showcasing a game, their game perhaps or perhaps not. How and where these games actually developed is beyond me.