Forum Game Dream Mafia [5-9] *DAY 4*

M

Misu

You wake up in a middle of a void. Everything around you is complete nothing, blank, nada. You hold a crystal on your hand and it glows in and out, alternatively. You suddenly hear a voice and look around to see where it is coming from. You see another person… floating from a distance… As you fly towards the person, more people start to show up from nothingness. Right before everyone could approach to everyone else… BOOM!... A large sound can be heard from a distance, and everyone started to fall for only a minute till something from below starts to fade in… It’s a city! A HUGE City. Everyone fell but did not get hurt… You all don’t understand why but a huge billboard lights up shows a message to everyone… “You are ALL in a dream… within the mind of a murderer… And two of his dreamlets are here… they will kill you all… one by one…

Welcome to Dream Mafia!

The game where anything can happen and your only escapade depends on killing the ones who control the universe you stand in.

If you don’t know what is a mafia game, here are the rules (copy pasted from another source):
Mafia is a game of intrigue. Two teams face off, each having their own perks and disadvantages. In a standard mafia game, the two teams are the Mafia and the Townsfolk. The Mafia know who other Mafioso are and can kill one of the Townsfolk each night, and the Townsfolk have the advantage in numbers which they need to use to identify the Mafiosi and publicly execute them.

Here's how it goes.

Each player receives a role at the start of the game. This role can have both day- and nighttime abilities, and the message containing the role mayNOT be shared.

The game is split into "days", which in turn are split into four phases: "dawn", "day", "dusk" and "night".

At dawn, the game moderator posts any public info that needs to be shared and announces the start of the day. Dawn lasts from last night's deadline to the start of the new day and is used solely to resolve nighttime actions. Anyone who was killed at night will be announced dead.

During the day, everyone who is alive may post in the topic. There is a vote for lynching. If a majority of people vote for one player, that player is publicly executed and their role, abilities and alignment are learned. Daytime lasts from dawn until the deadline, but ends early if someone dies.

At dusk, daytime actions are resolved. No one may post in the topic any longer and must wait for dusk to end to submit night actions. This phase starts as soon as someone dies or when the day's deadline runs out, and ends when the moderator announces night.

During the night, you may only use the Personal Messenger to communicate with the moderator, unless your role message says something different. This phase is used to privately submit night actions, and it ends as soon as the deadline runs out. Mafia are usually allowed to speak with each other during this phase.

Mechanics:

- Mafiosi can speak privately with each other at night.
- Mafiosi can kill one person between them each night.
- The Mafia usually win if they outnumber the townsfolk, since that means they control the daytime lynch and can therefore kill all the townies.

- The Mafia win once nothing can stop the rest of the townsfolk from being killed by the mafioso.
- The Townsfolk win if all the Mafiosi are dead.

Rules:
- People may only post in the topic during the day phase, unless their post isn't game-related, in which case it must be placed in spoiler tags.
- People may not copy-paste their role message into the topic or quote from it. They may name their role and explain their abilities, however.
- When the vote threshold for a lynch is reached, no more posts may be made in the topic until it is resolved.
- When someone uses a daytime ability, the game halts until it is resolved. no new posts may be made in the topic until then.
- You may NOT fake a daytime ability activation.
- Mafiosi may NOT reveal their partners' identities.

If these rules are broken, the moderator may announce the involved player dead. They are permanently removed from the game if this happens.

Additional features for this game in particular:
-Everyone can secretly do any kind of modification to the scenario except affecting the gameplay. This is only for affecting the events (story-wise) so you play around with the minds of other players. This either helps avoid becoming suspicious or counter-wise.
- You can only PM your secret modification the host. The host will then post it in the game as part of a narrative story.
- Everyone can only do one scene modification per day but a Mafiosi can do 3.
- Everyone can actually post during the night phase but can not do actions like “vote” nor “lynch”. During night, everyone must establish a way to protect themselves from getting murdered like building a fortress or something. Murderers will need to establish a way to kill their target according to their defense. If not planned well, most likely the victim will survive the night.

- 2create
- Snail Man
- Law
- leonfook29
- GVmG
- RoyTheShort (im assuming he is playing)
- Hiznopellagio
- Mercerenies
- Kepons

Last edited:
L

leonfook29

What's the timezone that the game are in? i'm afraid that i would miss most of the part.(death by afk?)

S

Snail Man

In game days usually last a few irl days so you should be ok

M

Misu

This is going to follow eastern american timezone but participation of a day takes like 3-5 days (for this game i start off with 5 days of anticipation and slowly reduce it per day)

Oh i just realize you can edit the title. The button was somewhere hidden below the title

S

Snail Man

I don't understand exactly how modifications work. Could you...
-Protect yourself like a doctor?
-Give yourself cop powers?
-Rob someone else of cop powers?
-Shuffle all the players alignments just be be a jerk?
-Give yourself 100 votes per vote?
-Give yourself unlimited shot anon dayvig?

Some more guidelines/explanation might be nice

S

Snail Man

I give myself unlimited shot anon dayvig and shuffle everyone's alignments

M

Misu

Sorry I guess i didnt specified it well. Apparently these modifications are story-wise only so it does not affect gameplay. This is a mechanism to either bluff your way out of suspiciousness but be aware that only townies can use this once per day. A townie can suspect a murderers modification by seeing two modificatons ocurred that feels like its by the same person. However, murderers would try to use this mechanism for trickery so you must be very careful with your assumptions. I fixed the explanation a bit on the first post. I recomend checking it out. :)

G

GVmG

wait so it's one modification from all townies (aka one for all) and three modifications from all mafiosi each day/night cycle?

G

GVmG

Yeah I jsut re-read the OP. That kind of opens a lot of holes in the system though, imo.

Which makes it fun c:<

M

Misu

For each day, its one modification per townie and 3 modifications per mafiosi.

For night cycle, mafias would use modification to determine a phenomical way of murderering someone while the townies use their modification for defense.

Of course, mafias would only get one modification for every night cycle. And no, any spare modification from day cycle, c annot be used during night cycle nor next day cycle.

R

roytheshort

Wow a Mafia game that is actually getting sign ups. This must be a Dream... Mafia.

Also why does this have a murderer tag? Who is actually going to look for topics using the tag "Murderer"? Who does that?

M

Misu

Awesome. We have a total of 8. I think I will start the game tomorrow so I can allow more sign ups for more participants to enter. The more players, the better. I will start preparing the roles and story right now.

L

leonfook29

Actually what count as a story modification? i'm not entirely clear on how the game works so i'm gonna have to ask some question here to clear out the fog a little bit:

- What kind of story modification is possible? like say if i'm a mafia and i set up an explosion at that building to confuse everyone, or draw a blood trail to someone's hiding place to frame them. Does this count as story mod? Also does setting up hideout/building defence as a townfolks considered as a mod?
- What kind of post that i can make? discussion on the scene, conversation on what to do, and partner up? or is it anything other than making vote or lynching? Can i PM someone during day/night time if i'm not a mafia( i assume yes?)?
- "Mafiosi can kill one person between them each night." Between them, as in the townfolks?

I also realized that activities of this post are kinda the time where i went to bed. Not sure whether this will affect my participation rate tho.

Z

Zekka

I don't really plan to play this, but you guys should, especially if you haven't played it before and you're on the fence. A lot of the people I know who turned out to really like mafia didn't expect to like it.

M

Misu

Ok allow me to answer your questions there, Leonfook29:
- Everything you just described there on story mod is exactly what you all should do in the game. Its to play around with the story. You cannot modify gameplay, like for example, you cant add yourself extra votes nor extra lynching. Also everyone can set up a defense during the night phase, including the mafiosis. however, it is not considered a mod during day cycle, its a mod during night cycle, every mod you had during day cycle will be discarded once entering night phase, and you will receive only one mod for night.:

For each day, its one modification per townie and 3 modifications per mafiosi.

For night cycle, mafias would use modification to determine a phenomical way of murderering someone while the townies use their modification for defense.

Of course, mafias would only get one modification for every night cycle. And no, any spare modification from day cycle, c annot be used during night cycle nor next day cycle.
- You can do any kind of posts but mostly it is discussion and critical analysis. I recommend you dont partner up because its teamming up would make you look more suspicious for being the murderer. You dont want that to happen now dont you. You can also request suicide if you like (qutting the game), thats another option. Alsoyes, you can PM others but please keep every discussion within the game topic, of course only a mafia would have to keep most of their discussion on private with another mafiosi.
- There can only be one death per night (its rare that there are more than one death but you dont have to be concern about that). Mafiosi get to kill each night. I dont think it is posible that a mafia can kill another mafia since that rarely happens and it is super strange and risky... I dont think Ive seen anyone done that before...

Ok so I got 9 players in, SIGN UPS ARE NOW CLOSED. Im gonna start PMing everyone their roles and we will begin soon...

M

Misu

Everyone! Are you all ready? I need a few of you to confirm so we can begin the game.

M

Misu

Okay then, here we go

You all stood in the middle of a city. There are people walking around but they don’t have faces at all. There are also dogs but can walk on two legs and fishes are flying around the sky. Each one of you have no clue what is going on but all you know is that all of you are in a dream and there is a murderer on the loose, waiting to kill you all…

“Where am I? Am I going to die?” Says Sid the Kid (leonfook29), weeping in tears.
“Don’t worry, kid! Everything is going to be okay…”replies Lilly Flower as he got up from the floor.

Everyone else question about what is going on but Buck Armstrong (2Create) questions about the crystal that everyone else holds on their hands… “What is this object we have on our hands?”

“*gasp* -- it’s a magical crystals that harvest magical powers!” exclaims Lilly very excited.

Suddenly the billboard flashes text again… “Those on your hands are dream shards… Those avoid you from waking up or running away from everyone else…”

Sid jumped and tosses the shard far from him… but strangely… the shards teleport back to his hand! He keeps tossing it away over and over, no matter how many times he throws it, it keeps teleporting back to his hand!

“Why can’t I throw this away!?” shouted Sid with desperation.
“It is hopeless! We just can’t get rid of it…” says J. Trump (Hiznopellagio)

The billboard continues to flash more text… “… Your only escapade is to kill the two dreamlet murderers that lurk around here… once that happens, you all shall wake up from this nightmare… good luck…”

Everyone felt determine to escape yet fear of dying. Everything seems impossible that this is happening and they have only little time… Once more, the billboard flashes again… “Oh… … one more thing… the murderers… they are within your group right now…”the billboard flashes off entirely and everyone begin to express fear… fear of knowing that two of the people with them are the murderers… now they just need to know who…

DAY 1 – You all have 5 days irl before Night 1

Let the game begin!

G

GVmG

Meanwhile I'm Lilly and I'm also male. Ok.

In my defense, it wasn't my choice, or I would have chosen to be a trap ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

H

Hiznopellagio

Wait... J. Trump? As in Judd Trump?
Oh will you two please stop! I-I mean, umm.. Greetings! The name's Josephine Trump. Am not sure which part of my name is worse, but I'd rather be associated with a male scum than be referred as a woman. Not that I have anything against women and all, I mean I'm a male and all, after all, but that doesn't mean I'm a feminist! My sister was one five years ago, but our psychiatrist Larry managed to snap her out of it, probably with more flirting than I'd have preferred it, but it worked pretty well so I'm not going to complain. That means I would have a brother-in-law named Larry, but that's not worse than having your parents named you after a country girl! Why oh why did you do this? I'm pretty sure I wasn't a corrupt shogun in my previous life! Oh my God, what am I blabbering about! I'm sorry!

Anyway, ahem. Call me J, please.

S

Snail Man

Orel At your service. Although I'm not sure why I'm introducing myself to dream people.

L

Law

Morning Josephine, Yara Blinklehorne at your service.

I doubt there is much use in trying to discern roles from character names, unless anyone happens to have a very suspicious name.

S

Snail Man

[joke] Oh yeah I forgot, my full name is Orel M. McMafia[/joke]

L

Law

You've got to be careful with jokes in a hand looks this snail.

What's your actual name then?

H

Hiznopellagio

Okay, anyone here knows anything about the crystal we have in our hands?

2Create

Are you now? Well. My name is Buck Armstrong. You can call me B, or Bucky. Or BucksMcMage564. Yeah, call me that. I use that all the time online. Pretty good name, isn't it? I'm especially proud of the 564 part.

H

Hiznopellagio

*point at the billboard*

Look at the billboard, Trump, or is the wall too high?
Of course I can read that! I'm asking about the origin of this! And don't call me Trump!

Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait... there's a Jonald Trump?! I'm Tronald Jump!
It's Josephine, mind you! And pleasure to meet you!

Are you now? Well. My name is Buck Armstrong. You can call me B, or Bucky. Or BucksMcMage564. Yeah, call me that. I use that all the time online. Pretty good name, isn't it? I'm especially proud of the 564 part.
Do explain the numbers, they sound sketchy

L

leonfook29

Alright alright, you don't have to shout at a joke, jeez. I'm Sid by the way.