Dread Quest Arena - beta version

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by RandNR, Dec 6, 2018.

1. RandNR

RandNR Member

Upcoming update announcement
    [​IMG]

Dread Quest Arena Project will be updated in early/mid January. The project will most likely be renamed to fit the new scope. As such you can expect big changes, campaign mode, new worlds to explore, new enemies, skills system rework and mechanics improvements.

You can keep track of upcoming updates at:

https://twitter.com/nr_rand

www.youtube.com/channel/UCuUh8TFDXSW1zY3gNv7I-hw

Update will include:

New game mode (Campaign)

Instead of playing single arena you will be able to travel trough series of randomized worlds, each with it's own unique features and boss which will appear at certain stage of survival.

New Skills and modifiers

At least 5 new skills plus a dozen of various upgrades which will open new ways of combining skills together.

Expanded skill system

Along with new skills the skill bar will be expanded as well. This will open new options to play and much deeper combat gameplay.

Unlimited Mode (Arena)

In this mode you can master each world seperately and escalate the stage endlessly.

More Mechanics

Reworked super jump, dodge, new power ups and unlockable content.

Trailer:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/dread-quest-arena
    https://www.indiedb.com/games/dread-quest-arena/news/demo-gameplay-features

[​IMG]
    Download latest version:
    https://www.indiedb.com/downloads/start/171782?referer=https://www.indiedb.com/games/dread-quest-arena/downloads
    https://www.gamedev.net/index.php?a...rm=1&csrfKey=242b6f5c0b5cc68756e94c192c67ead1

Quick facts about the Gameplay
    You fight randomly generated enemies on arena
    Monsters constantly try to push you of the platforms
    There are global effects that can affect both player and monsters
    Power ups can spawn randomly on the arena
    You can level up your devil and increase his stats and power
    You are able to gain new abilities and/or alter them
    New powers can be purchased with coins that you can farm in the arena
    Reaching high stages is the key for fast leveling of your character

Short description of the game:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018 at 8:12 PM
    Siavellez and CameronScottMusic like this.
  2. Toque

Toque Member

Nice effects. Looks cool.

3. CameronScottMusic

CameronScottMusic Member

Looks good! I'll check it out tomorrow night and let you know my thoughts :)

4. RandNR

RandNR Member

Thanks guys, will update some more information about gameplay today.

5. CameronScottMusic

CameronScottMusic Member

I downloaded and played your demo today and I think it has some good things going for it and also some areas in need of improvement.

-Controller support would be a big plus. A game like this lends itself well to controller support and there are a lot of people like myself who prefer a controller. So you should shoot to have controller support added on your next demo.
    -Darkness led to a cheap death. I feel like this could use some tweaking or be removed, as it is now the whole screen goes black. Maybe there was an unlockable skill that I didn't see that allows the player to see in the darkness, I didn't look at all the skills.
    -Had an earthquake death that seemed kind of cheap also although it didn't bother me as much as the darkness death. This one at least felt like I might be able to overcome as I got better at the game.
    -I thought the stone attack was underwhelming and unsatisfying.
    -I thought the giant sledge hammer was cool and fun to use.
    -Skill upgrade should be faster, especially in the beginning. Give more coins more frequently but also have some cheaper skills in the beginning.
    -Design the skill tree to be more obvious when a player can afford a skill, whether through lighting tricks (skills they can afford could be lit, skills they can't could be darkened), particle effects, etc.
    -Considering this is a demo and you want to get feedback on skills and game play so you may want to have more of them unlocked early on or unlocked faster so people can give proper feedback on deeper game play.
    -The game play to skill tree grind wasn't a good balance because the game is going to get stale before people go deep into the skill tree. This is because there isn't enough game play content to maintain interest. What I mean is there isn't enough variety to the levels and enemies, in fact from what I saw there wasn't any real variety.
    -Randomly generated levels would be nice and help, at least the platform sizes and positions could be randomly generated with each arena load if nothing more.
    -Music and more sound effects. I am building a music portfolio so am doing budget prices for people for a limited time. Feel free to contact me if looking for a composer and SFX guy.
    -I liked the menus and environment graphics. The fog particle in the menus was satisfying and I think you should keep most of that stuff as is and don't really need to do too much more there.
    -the enemies were rather bland and the core game play aspect needs work to make it more entertaining.

All in all, I think the game has some good things going for it but needs improvements to the game play especially since that is the only real focus of the game. More variety to the enemies and the enemy mechanics would help a lot as would removing some of the underwhelming aspects for the player. Spamming the attack button to throw the rocks isn't a satisfying game mechanic however the giant hammer was more fun to use and a more interesting device. I would highlight what's fun and get rid of what's not.

That's about all I can provide for now. Hopefully it helps and doesn't come across as too critical. I figure that's what this is for is to get a fresh perspective from people who aren't too close to the project. I think you have some quality things going but the game play needs to be improved if you want to get people addicted.

6. RandNR

RandNR Member

Thanks for your feedback.

Progress speed was my main concern to be honest, I'm a bit oldschool so I decided to make it in a way so there is a sense of struggle in the beginning. This will be changed and improved in the next build, early rewards and progress will be much better.
    Quake / Darkness effects design wise follow the same rule as above, later on you can reduce their effect (duration and strength) by upgrading Endurance Stone, that being said I will rebalance this in next build as well.
    I just want to note here that those effects seem strong but once you get more familiar in game mechanics it's relatively easy to avoid their consequences (for quake - you can position character close to the edge of main ramp, or negate it by timing your jump).
    Rock throw will probably be removed or reworked to something more effective.
    Skill upgrades and progress will be much faster.

I plan to add more content too, this will include levels and their variety (possibly campaign mode), more enemies, skills and more progression mechanics.

7. Siavellez

Siavellez Member

- I like the main character.
    - I like the "darkness" and "quake" effects
    - I don't like how you can't move through the enemies, makes it a whole lot harder, but I'm guessing that's how you want it.
    - I don't think the enemy characters are as cool and interesting as the main character.
    - I love the red bubble death effect
    - I like the platform
    - Background is good and fits with game
    - Invasion is cool
    - Boos is cool
    - Frustrating that you can't jump over enemies
    - The more I play this, the funner it is - I like the idea of coin collection and upgrades
    - Personal suggestion: make "darkness" last just slightly less long
    - I feel like the progressions(upgrading) is pretty slow and can limit people's interest in the game

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  8. RandNR

RandNR Member

Thank for your feedback, progression speed and rewards will be improved in next build. Along with with balance changes. I will also add new content, skills and new worlds to explore.

Siavellez likes this.
  9. RandNR

RandNR Member

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018 at 9:29 PM
  10. RandNR

RandNR Member

Added info about upcoming update to original post.