GMS 2 'Drawing' in game

Discussion in 'Programming' started by InquiziBruh, Oct 9, 2019.

1. InquiziBruh

InquiziBruh Member

I want to make a game that lets the player 'draw' things in game, using the mouse as a sort of brush, with an adjustable radius for size. I want the object the player draws to then have a collisions on it and count as an object with its own code. Does anyone know what the best way to do this is?

2. Kawai_Oppai

Kawai_Oppai Member

3. NightFrost

NightFrost Member

The main points would be:
    • Create a surface identical to draw area size.
    • When user draws with mouse, draw it to the surface and copy the surface to application surface so user can see the results.
    • When draw is finished, either A) cut the empty surroundings programmatically or B) simply require that user draws a rectangle around the area that will be used.
    • Turn the selected region into a sprite. This will create a new texture page, as usual.
    • Create a collision mask for the sprite (sprite_collision_mask).
    • Assign the created sprite to an instance that needs it.

Bentley and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  4. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

Save a list of all shapes the player places down, then loop through them and use collision functions? Surfaces are good, but I'm not sure if there's any good way to get a collision mask for them. Lists and loops, however, always work :p

Bentley likes this.