• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Android Drawing Game & auto Detect?

G

GhostyFox

I wanted to make a simple game that player can draw TEXT / SYMBOL on the screen and
the system will auto detect that to perform the next action.

Please let me know if any of you guys know that kind of scripts did exist...
I would really appreciate if any of you guys who tried to help :)

A

atxgamedesigner

I see that you tagged this as "Android".
So if I understand correctly - you are wanting to having someone use their finger to physically draw or write a character on the screen of their device - and you want some code to look at what they drew and perform a specific action based on what was drawn?

This would require some sort of gesture recognition program.
Not to burst your bubble, but I would assume you have a very long road ahead of you - not just in achieving this with GML, but any programming language.
The biggest issue being the nuances in everyone's writing style. No two people are going to write letters or characters in the exact same way - so how do you develop a program to work around this?

Start by doing some research on how this is achieved with current touch-screen devices. Most have an option to "draw" out your text messages, instead of typing. How was this accomplished?

G

GhostyFox

thanks for the reply!
I guess I really need to start to do my research on gesture recognition program, xD

thank you for the advises, have a good day! :)