• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - Code Drawing Auto-Tiles Through Code

K

Khaibit

Is drawing auto-tiles through code possible yet without actually choosing the indices of the sprites within the tileset themselves? If so, how would I go about doing this?

If not, can we expect a method to do so? That would be amazing!

GMWolf

aka fel666
No, it's currently not possible, and yes, there may be functions for this in the future (it's been discussed, but isn't going to be a day one addition).
I'll just point out that GMS2's tile system is what I'm most excited about. And with me hating level design... Procedural autotiles are a must have :)
Especially now that there is a standard way to define them in GM.

K

Khaibit

No, it's currently not possible, and yes, there may be functions for this in the future (it's been discussed, but isn't going to be a day one addition).
Thanks for the reply, Nocturne! Glad to hear there are talks of it at least. I am currently working on a procedural world generator using GMS2 Beta and it's coming along well. The auto-tile feature would be amazing for procedural levels, but for now I can do it the old fashioned way.

GMS2 is amazing so far. I am definitely purchasing the day it becomes available (Get rid of these darn restrictions, haha).

M

mdbussen

+1 to wanting GML scripted auto-tiling if possible. Just in case you guys are gauging the interest :)

Vision1776

did this ever happen. I've been looking everywhere and cant find a way to do autotiling procedurally or in code.