• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Drawing a view without squishing other views [SOLVED]

AnalogF6

I am trying to draw a view to a surface and draw that on part of the main view. However, any time the second view is being draw, the main view gets squished up to the top of the screen.

I understand this is a reflection of how gamemaker typically handles views (It creates a split-screen effect when multiple views are in use) but I can't seem to get the game to reliably draw the main view over the whole screen and THEN draw the surface at the place I want.

Is it possible to draw the main view across the whole window first, and THEN draw the other view?

Last edited:

AnalogF6

Okay, I solved it. Solution is simple, I start with the view set to not visible, and then in the draw event of my camera object, I set the view to visible, then I draw it as I want in my draw_gui event, and set it back to not visible at the end of the same event.

I found you can't simply change it to visible and back in the draw_gui event, but you can do it earlier on.