• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Draw_text _transformed pixel distortion

Petrik33

So, in short, I just try to use up and down scailing of the GUI element size to emphasize the input in the menu of my game. And it works fine, but the pixel distortion is really noticeable on my screen. The font size is 26, and the scailing happens between 0.9 and 1.1 synchronously for x- and y-scale. So, is there any way to avoid it, or just any other ideas for the Interface design?? (Color change is already used for the cursor and alpha change is already used for the value controlled by the element)

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
I think it's because Game Maker Studio is not able to do that... It generates texture pages, that is, they are pre-rendered fonts, so unfortunately there is no way to change the native size in real time as far as I know... Because the rendered fonts are no longer vectorized, but bitmap.
The only way to avoid this would be to use fonts of different sizes and apply them depending on usage.

Petrik33

O
I think it's because Game Maker Studio is not able to do that... It generates texture pages, that is, they are pre-rendered fonts, so unfortunately there is no way to change the native size in real time as far as I know... Because the rendered fonts are no longer vectorized, but bitmap.
The only way to avoid this would be to use fonts of different sizes and apply them depending on usage.
Oh, this is very unfortunate, guess I have to look for the other UI trick then. Thank you very much!

xenoargh

You can always make the font larger in the atlas; downscaling is (usually) much less noticeable than upscaling.