Draw in editor

L

Logix

Hi game makers!

I'm just wondering if it's possible (or can be made possible) to draw sprites and/or text in the room editor view. This would be useful since I'm using a programmed trigger system (not a fan of putting objects in the scene when I can just achieve the same thing with a small bit of code and without an entire object with all the overhead that comes with). I think it'd also be useful just in general, such as if you're making a level with turrets and you wanted to visualize their detection radius whilst placing them in the room.

If there's no way to do this (I'm using the latest Studio-2 Beta), then where would be the best place to request some sort of DrawEditor event? (I'm new-ish to the forum).

Many thanks
- Logix

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Welcome!
No, it is not possible. You can even view animations of the game's sprites, but you cannot have a real-time preview of any game code.

L

Logix

I really think we could do with an editor draw event just for drawing things procedurally in the level editor, rather than forcing us to use sprites. I can't remember what I had in mind when I posted this, but I didn't mean drawing things that would ordinarily be drawn in-game, more like debug stuff to help when piecing together levels. The turret thing being a good example; to be able to tell Game Maker to draw a circle over the object (to show the turret's effective radius) so you can position it where you like without having to do some finnicky thing like edit the sprite to have the circle in it or creating a whole separate object with a sprite just to use for placement. I certainly don't think it could hurt to at least give developers this option, and it wouldn't need to be anything super complex.

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
I understood what you meant, in Unity it is possible to do this, in a C # script I can write some commands that tell the IDE to draw some things like lines, spheres and other things. It would be a good thing to put in GMS 2, although I don't know if it would make the engine heavier...