1. Hey! Guest! The 34th GMC Jam will take place between August 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Thursday noon) and August 26th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Draw event running before create event

Discussion in 'Legacy GameMaker Community Tech Support' started by Neil Roberts, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Neil Roberts

Neil Roberts Member

Hi

I have looked around for a solution to this with no luck.

I have a variable declared in a create event which is then used in the draw event of the same object. However when I run my program it gives me the "variable not set before reading it " error. I have disabled (commented out" all the code in both events and added a show_message command and discovered that the draw event runs first followed by the create event, I even added a show_message to the creation code of the instance in the room editor this one runs last of all. I am pretty sure this should not happen but it definitely is.

Any suggestions? I even created a new object with just a create and draw, and with only show_message commands and it is the same.

Forgot to mention I am using GM V1.4.1757

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2019
  2. William Dubois

William Dubois Member

Try to create an object and in the create event type this code ''image_speed = 0.1;'' (without '') after in the same object add the event ''animation end'' and now add your draw event. Is it works now?

3. Nocturne

Nocturne Friendly Tyrant Forum Staff Admin

4. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

Workaround if you don't want to update: set the object to invisible in the object editor. Set visible to true in the create event. (The Draw event isn't run at all when an object is non-visible)