1. Hey! Guest! The 35th GMC Jam will take place between November 28th, 12:00 UTC - December 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

GM:S 1.4 Draw changing number of rectangles [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Yahl, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Yahl

Yahl Guest

So I'm working on a menue, facing the problem of drawing multiple rectangles. I want them to be drawn in a row, but the number of them wouldn't be the same all time (based on a variable).

As "repeat" doesn't work very well in draw events, I wonder if there is a better option of drawing dynamic numbers of rectangles from only one instance.

2. stainedofmind

stainedofmind Member

Repeat works just fine in every event. Not sure where you got that idea from. Anyway, quick example:

Code:
    var num_rect = 10, // Number of rectanges to draw
        spacing = 8, // How many pixels apart to draw the rectangles
        width = 16, // Width of the rectangles
        height = 16, // Height of the rectangles
        x1 = x; // Counter for where to draw each rectangle

repeat (num_rect)
    {
        draw_rectangle(x1, y, x1 + width - 1, y + height - 1, false);

x1 += width + spacing;
    }

... And of course, you'll have to supply your own values for the various variables (what an odd sentence...).

3. Yahl

Yahl Guest

Thank you for your quick answer, but that's exactly what I tried. It just draws the rectangles one after another and make them disappear again.

4. DariusWolfe

DariusWolfe Member

I use something like this:

for (i=0;i<v_number;i++)
    {
    draw_rectangle(x+v_offset*i,y,x+v_width+v_offset*i,y+v_height)
    }

this will draw v_number rectangles starting at x,y with a width and height of v_width and v_height, with an offset from point of origin of v_offset.

Edit: Note that if v_offset is not equal to or greater than v_width, you'll get overlapping rectangles.

Yahl likes this.
  5. Yahl

Yahl Guest

Thank you! This works just fine and offers all I was looking for!