• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Drag n Drop /GML

Chaser

Just one of my thoughts for what its worth, but first let me say well done on GM2, it looks look great and the new features with the image editor, etc are a great inclusion.

one of the things that are troubling me at this early stage is we now have to decide which we are going to use before we begin a project:

Drag n Drop interface or GML.

My thoughts are this is OK if you are good at GML as you probably wouldn't use the DnD anyway but for someone like me learning GML, using the DnD and be able to use GML as well in the same project was extremely helpful to me learning to understand how GML coding works and differs from the DnD.

I would create an instance using DnD with events then create an same instance but this time having the events coded by GML, this helped me learn GML, may sound strange to some of you but it just works for me this way.

Now it seems i cannot do this now, although GM2 to will convert the DnD into GML code which is good, but i feel i will not learn anything this way, and may slow my learning and workflow down now. I like the DnD, but want to be more fluent in GML, Being able to use both within a project was good (for me anyway), i'm not that comfortable with having to choose between one or the other.

I'm hoping i have missed an instruction somewhere or manual passage, but if this is the case then i guess i will have to suck it up, can i ask why YoYo felt that it needed to be this way?

Thanks.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
You can swap a DnD event into a GML one, but it's impossible to swap back into pure DnD as all the meta data is lost, so currently swapping back means it'll just insert an execute some code thing in with your code. Project choice at the start selects the "dominant" selection (GML/DnD), and that's pretty much all. We didn't want users to have to continually select what kind of script they wanted.

We do have more coming to help with this though....

Chaser

Thanks for your reply.

"We didn't want users to have to continually select what kind of script they wanted"

My opinion on this would of been to let this be a user preference, There are things i can do in GML but somethings i can't, and having the DnD available was very handy indeed when working on a project, using this helped me make the transition over to GML. So having a choice of script actually was quite vital (to me anyway), and was a wonderful thing to have, shame its not available now.

I'm glad you have some more coming up to help, i will look forward to that.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
My opinion on this would of been to let this be a user preference
It is, they pick it when they create a new project :)

If you pick DnD then it's as it was in 1.x, you can add an "Execute Code" block and stick in whatever script you like.

If you select GML then you can always swap a script back into DnD if you need to by right clicking the event.

Chaser

oh yes! thats what i was looking for, i just couldn't find it, i went through all of them for ages!, i need to get my eyes checked.
thank you Mike.
perfect...GREAT JOB! well done everyone.