1. Hello Guest! It's with a heavy heart that we must announce the removal of the Legacy GMC Archive. If you wish to save anything from it, now's the time! Please see this topic for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Drag & Drop

Discussion in 'Community Chat' started by dupe you, Dec 3, 2019.

1. dupe you

dupe you Member

Is there some part of the forums that I'm missing that only contains information for Drop & Drag?

SilentxxBunny likes this.
  2. TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko Q&A Spawn Camper Forum Staff Moderator

No.

3. SilentxxBunny

SilentxxBunny Epsilon

But with that being said... did you have a question related to drop and drag? Or were you just looking for more information: https://docs2.yoyogames.com/

4. dupe you

dupe you Member

I've been slowly reading through the link you've provided, yet as someone that's entirely new to the concept of using a game-engine, I'm finding it quite overwhelming.

There's quite a few short videos out there for some functions of the Toolbox, however not all of them are shown.

5. TsukaYuriko

Have you worked through the official tutorials yet? A few of them are explicitly marked as "DnD", or Drag & Drop.

6. SilentxxBunny

SilentxxBunny Epsilon

Gotcha. Well you've come to the right place.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have questions. We don't bite (hard.)

Welcome to the GMC!

One last thing: Don't be afraid to "tinker around" a bit and experiment with blocks that are unfamiliar to you (once you are familiar with the basics.)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Nocturne, KPJ, matharoo and 2 others like this.
  7. dupe you

dupe you Member

I think a Drag & Drop section for the forums would be quite useful & help not to deter new users from purchasing the product.

8. TsukaYuriko

What would such a forum be used for? We already have the Programming forum where you can ask programming questions and the Tech Support forums for technical questions. Both of these are valid choices for D&D users.

9. dupe you

dupe you Member

TsukaYuriko
    " What would such a forum be used for? "

Not having to filter through coding information that is way past my current abilities.

I just learned that selecting a DnD function in the events menu & pressing the F1 key will take me to that exact function's properties in the manual. It was only by miss-clicking the F2 button to run the game is how I found this.

Simple things like this for experienced users may seem to be not a big thing, yet for novices such as myself, it can make using the engine so much easier.

Toque likes this.
  10. TsukaYuriko

Forums are not exactly meant for "coding information", though - are you talking about the manual? If so, it already has a section that focuses entirely on Drag and Drop. The Programming forum also has a Drag and Drop tag which can be filtered via the search.

11. SilentxxBunny

SilentxxBunny Epsilon

I know that old habits die hard, but we should all try to forget about the stigma that you are not programming if you use the Drag & Drop Code Editor.

These days it's the same difference as the type of transmission you have in your car. ;)

Well, you could search for "DND or "Drag and Drop" ... but it's slim pickings. I don't think that a dedicated forum would help very much. A better solution would be for some of us old-timers to "champion the cause" and become "DND Experts." I'm working on ithat very thing... I'm going to start answering Programming Questions in Drag and Drop (as well as the GML conversion in spoiler tags.) That way, my posts will be helpful to everyone (and won't exclude any sub-set of GMS2 users.)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Toque likes this.
  12. dupe you

dupe you Member

" I'm going to start answering Programming Questions in Drag and Drop (as well as the GML conversion in spoiler tags.) "

Thank you SilentxxBunny.