• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Drag & Drop / Scripting

M

MattW

Hey all, I'm a newbie to GameMaker and I'm just planning out my first game. I do have some programming experience but was going to start prototyping in the drag and drop editor before fleshing out with GML (once I have learned the nuances of the language). My question is if I start this in drag and drop can I add in GML scripts within this or would I need to start the project again directly selecting GML? I realise this may be a really simple question but don't want to get too far down the rabbit hole before I realise.
Thanks Matt

To make use of GML scripting, you simply add a drag'n'drop icon titled "Execute Code" (located under "control" tab). This opens script editor, and all the code you input there will be executed.
Since it's a drag'n'drop icon, it can be inserted anywhere and can follow the logic you created with other icons.

RangerX

If I'd give you an advice, since you have some prog experience, don't even bother with drag and drop you're just losing time really. Step right in GML.

M

MattW

Thanks all. Just wondering if anyone can recommend any books on learning GML? I have followed a few youtube vids but want to get a an overall view of the language rather than just following platformer tutes. Has there been any change to GML in GameMaker 2?

Neptune

Syntax wise, theyre identical. Some of the function names have changed, but the manual really helps with that.
As some others have said, dive into GML!
Good luck :)