GML Visual Drag and Drop Platformer Series

Slyddar

GM Version: GMS2
Target Platform: ALL
Download: N/A
Links: N/A

Summary:
A detailed tutorial series on creating a platformer using traditional hsp/vsp collision methods, but implemented in drag and drop. It will eventually cover collision code, states, enemies, basic tiling, parallax scrolling and one way platforms. This is just the first episode in the series, where I establish the movement of the player.

Tutorial:

Slyddar

Episode 2 - Horizontal Collisions - is now live.
We discuss the structure of a character, add scripts to manage our DND more efficiently, setup our room, and finally add the horizontal collision code.

Last edited:
GM Version: GMS2
Target Platform: ALL
Download: N/A
Links: N/A

Summary:
A detailed tutorial series on creating a platformer using traditional hsp/vsp collision methods, but implemented in drag and drop. It will eventually cover collision code, states, enemies, basic tiling, parallax scrolling and one way platforms. This is just the first episode in the series, where I establish the movement of the player.

Tutorial:
This looks great!!! Lack of DnD out there.

Slyddar

Episode 4 - Sprites and Parenting - is now live
We add the idle, walk and jump player animations, and corresponding movements, and discuss the benefits of parenting.

We're laying the ground work for easier enemy implementations, and setting up for the introduction of state machines next episode.

Slyddar

Episode 6 - Enemies - is now live
We are easily able to add a patrolling enemy, as he uses the same scripts that we have already established.

Last edited:

Slyddar

Episode 7 - Tiles - is now live
We bring the game to life by adding a jungle tileset and setting up the camera to follow the player.

D

DougM

Woah, kinda wish I saw this before I started working on my own platformer.

Slyddar

Episode 9 - Damaging Enemies - is now live
This episode we add the classic "jump on an enemies head" move.
Be sure to comment if you want to see something specific in Drag and Drop, in a future episode.

Slyddar

Episode 10 - Damaging the Player - is now live
This episode we add the ability for the player to take damage, show it on a health bar, and add a player dead state to wrap it all up.

Slyddar

Episode 11 - Juice - is now live
In this episode we add the jump and land dust effect and the hit effect when we jump on an enemies head.

Slyddar

Episode 13 - Falling Leaves - is now live
In this episode we give our game some more atmosphere by adding leaves that fall from the top of the screen, enhancing the forest feel. They interact with the ground and vanish after a set time.

Slyddar

Episode 14 - Collectibles - is now live.
In this episode we add a game defining feature, the collectible item. I show you how to burst them out of enemies, and make them interact with the ground, bouncing in a realistic manner. We then allow the player to collect them and show the collected coins in a GUI display.

Slyddar

These are EXCELLENT, so I'm going to pass this on to YYG and see if they can't get the videos featured on their Learn pages, as we don't have enough devs doing DnD stuff. Thank you for making these and good luck with your projects!
Coming from someone as skilled in GM as yourself, that means a lot. Hopefully it can be added to the learn pages, as I put a lot of effort into them, and the more new users we can get into Gamemaker via any means, well we all benefit from that.

Slyddar

Episode 15 - Scoring - is now live.
In this episode we add a scoring method, with a flexible popup floating number system, for when we score points or collect coins.

Slyddar

These are EXCELLENT, so I'm going to pass this on to YYG and see if they can't get the videos featured on their Learn pages, as we don't have enough devs doing DnD stuff.
Hi Nocturne, any word on the possible inclusion of these in the learning section?
EDIT: Nevermind, this has been done now.

Last edited:

Slyddar

Episode 16 - Room Transitions
In this episode we add a way to move the player to another room, and also return to previous ones. We explore the benefits of persistent instances, and how to set them up correctly to avoid duplication.

Slyddar

Episode 18 - Object Persistence
In this episode we explore some pros and cons of room persistence, and show a method that allows room objects to not respawn when you leave and return to the room.

Slyddar

Episode 19 - Sound and Music
In this tutorial we add sounds and music to the game. We discuss the sound design process, add general sounds, and sprite based timed sounds, as well as situational sounds like footsteps. We then implement a data structure to allow adaptive music to be tailored to individual rooms.

Slyddar

Final Episode in this series!
Episode 20 - One Way Platforms

Do you know how many Gamemaker Drag n Drop tutorials there are on One Way Platforms? None. I couldn't find a single one. So the final episode in my DnD Platformer Series shows how to implement them in your game! This iteration of one way platforms also does what other GML implementations do not cover. Allowing the player to stand on a one way platform while being in contact with another. This allows one way platform stacking, which is useful for some level designs.

Last edited:
sorry I know this is obviously the last episode in the series, but ive been wanting to ask this. what about spike enemies or other obstacles that you never covered, since your the only guy making videos about this kind of stuff. I even tried putting in a dash attack because the enemy I wanted to make had a spike making it basically invincible. I tried searching up how to put in a dash attack but it's either random nonsense or regular gml code which I've tried in the past which no avail, which is why I switch to dnd code in the first place. So please, maybe make some newer videos covering those topics because I'm just a beginner, and I need all the help I can get for this. Sorry for the long reply