• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

DRADIS - Control your ship via typed commands - GREENLIGHT live!

HighlandCoo

played more. Hrm, it's still kinda distressing..
cheers!
Hi Froganus, wow thanks for the grat feedback. Apologies for not getting back sooner, but I did'nt get an email or alert when your reply was made.

Regarding your issues:
1. Code Error: When I was shooting the big ship for the "INTERCEPT CONVOY" mission (after a few hits, maybe upon destroying it?) I had a FATAL ERROR:
* I believe this is fixed. Im not sure what caused it, but Ive added lots of extra validation to prevent this issue re-occuring.

2.Couldn't figure how to use the resources
* In the current build, there really isn't anything you can do with resources - you only collect them. Watch this space - soon you will be able to dock with your home station and use your resources to build new items.

3. I'd prefer if you could feasably keep your ship intact and recharge between battles or something
* In the current build you can dock with your home base and repair your ship using energy

4. I find conflicts with 1 or 2 ships still seem to quickly turn into a swarm of like 8 ships .. all the little drone ships just pop up out of nowhere
* Ive adjusted alot of the weapon balance in the next build, plus made alot of changes to how the AI director spawns ships. HINT- the PDS module shoots down drones. Type PDS into the console to activate it!

5. level of typing speed of players might create a very wide disparity in learning curve
* Hrm interesting... I shall perhaps consider using a players typing rate to adjust how often events occur, etc...

More updates to follow!

HighlandCoo

UPDATED!

Wow so much to get through here... some bug fixes to start with

//fixes
- stations now show correct UI elements to indicate when the player is targeting them *done
- prevent targeting the same enemy twice *done
- weapons need to preserve xp level when swopped out * done
- fix the issue where the NPC enemies spawn on top of one another *done
- add ore and metal amounts to the dock UI *done
- prevent npc's spawning with an asteroid between them and the player *done
- if the number of inventory items exceeds the loadout slots, you cannot select swop items *done
- fix ore belts spawning too close to bases *done
- point defense continues to fire when target oves out of range *fixed
- mining stations can be deployed too far away for drones to mine *fixed

Now the big additions.. this is not everything, but for ease of reading i've covered the big ones and expanded with some detail where required.

Ship XP upgrades
- successfully placing orders via the console earns your ship XP. Make enough successful orders and your ship will level up and get bonuses to available power, armor and maneuverability. XP bonuses are reset if you die.

Blueprints
- You now have several items in your blueprint inventory, accessed via the dock menu at your home station. You can use blueprints to manufacture new weapons and modules. See the dock menu in-game for more info.

Dock Menu Enhancements
- added improved UI hint messages
- added ability to scrap items
- added in-game error messages to UI to explain why you cannot perform an action

Sub-system Damage
- NPC's now take sub system damage, Engine and Weapons can be disabled or fires can break out. Engine damage slows NPCs down. Weapon damage disables their weapons. Fires kill their crew. If an NPC has zero crew they will die normally.
- The player now takes sub system damage. NPC weapons can cause fires or disabled the engines. Eventually I want NPC weapons to damage weapons and modules but I'm still thinking how that's going to work.

Bridge Menu
- The player can access the bridge by typing 'BRIDGE' into the console.
- Currently, the bridge only allows the player to allocate crew to subsystem damage reports like fires and engine damage. The more crew you allocate the faster the damage is repaired.

Z

zendraw

love the game, i dont know how your gonamake it in future but keep the typing a main gameplay mechanic. it alone lets you immerse greatly. for the rest just do what you want to do, just typing commands and manipulating is enough for me to have fun. oh and please dont just put generic objectives, please dont do that, make a weird 4chan story if youhave to but no generic objectives to fill the time.
dont rush it, do your best do it as you want it to be and it will be great.
for the first time i will be actually following the progress of a game.

for feedback it gave me the usual error that a game maker dev gets. i got it when trying to swap items and pressing a higher number then the total number of inventory items i had. an easy fix. otherwise, like i sayd do w/e you want, everything is nice and clean, great gameplay mechanic, feels abit purposeless atm like why are you fighting these guys, where are they coming from, etc.

anyway, i have my eye on you.

HighlandCoo

love the game, i dont know how your gonamake it in future but keep the typing a main gameplay mechanic. it alone lets you immerse greatly....
anyway, i have my eye on you.
Thanks for the feedback! I resolved your error message (cannot _believe_ that got past me!) and also added a few changes...

UPDATE!

//additions
- added "alert level" to the AI director. When the game starts the alert level is low, and spawns will be small and low frequency. As the player gets more kills the alert level increases, and the AI director starts to become more aggressive. Note - the alert level will also increase automatically after a set amount of time has passed.
- added beam weapon to possible NPC weapons
- beam weapons now take shields into account

//fixes
- fixed spawn scripts spawning excessive enemies. This was an issue where "max enemies" was set to a negative number. So the script would spawn an enemy for each slot for example: -2, -1, 0 = 3 enemies regardless that there are no slots available.
- NPC's are firing on the player before they have gotten a target lock *fixed
- fixed an error that could occur in the dock UI when you are swopping weapons *done
- beam weapons now only apply damage ONCE per target they hit. Previously they would apply it multiple times as they passed over an enemy which led to loads of UI clutter reporting multiple hits. *done

Your feedback is so important, I couldn't make the game without it! If you have any further comments or just want to offer suggestions, please do feel free!

R.

HighlandCoo

UPDATED!

- AI director adjusted. NPC's will now still spawn even if you are near a mining station and there is no attack in progress. This only affects mining stations. The area near your HOME station is still a safe zone UNLESS an attack is in progress.

- Player and NPC weapons have been rebalanced.

- Sucessful NPC convoy destruction now rewards item blueprints.

- If an NPC convoy reaches it's destination, that NPC station will be healed back to max health.

- Home stations (and NPC stations) will now deploy drones in self defense.

- You can now turn off the tutorial from the welcome message you see at the start of the game.

- Mining stations now cost 20 energy to deploy

- Objectives can now issue rewards when completed. Where an objective gives a reward that will be highlighted in the mission description.

- added "+1 weapon slot" and "+1 module slots" to the blueprint drop table. Manufacturing these items upgrades your ship.

- added some ambient effects to make space seem a little less empty. :)

//fixes
- stopped AI attacks on homebase OR AI convoys being spawned during a high-intensity spawn, or a relax period following a high intensity spawn.
- if a reactor explosion occurs due to crew death, the NPC would not drop resource pickups. Fixed that.
- fixed an issue where pressing Q or R to exit the pause screen also added Q or R to the console, and potentially misspelling commands.

HighlandCoo

UPDATED!

- GUI

The GUI has been updated and refactored. The GUI should now be more consistent and easier to read.

-CREW
you can now allocate crew to different ship departments (weapons, engine, power) via the "bridge" menu. Different departments give a different boost.
Weapons - 2% increase in accuracy per crew member
Engines - 2% increase in top speed per crew member
Power - 2% increase in recharge speed per crew member

-NPC's
NPC ships now equip modules (Boost, Point Defense, Shield)

-MODULES
New module added "boost", Functions like an afterburner, use it for a quick burst of speed

-GRAPHICS
Added a little graphical effect to all Ships and Stations, when you take a hit there is a chance a little chunk will be blown off your ship. :)

//fixes
* if a burst fire weapons _first_ round hit before the burst was complete, the rest of the rounds would not fire. Fixed that.
* stopped engine flare drawing during warp
* stopped engine flare drawing on top of NPCs
* fixed a bug that stopped the full list of installed modules being drawn in the loadout menu

M

MatthewL019

- options menu (music volume, sound volume, typing effect volume, etc) all of this too loud hurts my head (of course I can turn it down externally via windows mixer but still)
other than that I love the 💩💩💩💩 out of this

HighlandCoo

- options menu (music volume, sound volume, typing effect volume, etc) all of this too loud hurts my head (of course I can turn it down externally via windows mixer but still)
other than that I love the **** out of this
Thanks Mat, I'll see if I can squeeze a main volume control into the next update!

Was there anything in particular you liked/did not like?

either way thanks for the encouragement! Makes it easier to keep working if you know people like the game ha!

HighlandCoo

UPDATED!

- Gameplay

* added new secondary objective "rescue the escape pods"
* Some objectives now have a timer (like 'protect your station' for example) if you do not attend to the mission within that timer, the mission will be automatically lost.
* Added a message to indicate that entering warp will fail the current mission
* added a message when entering an area you cannot warp out of without failing the mission

- New Effects

* New CRT Shader has been added... feedback welcome!
* explosions have been tweaked
* added ambient NPC activity around NPC stations
* adjusted warp animation and sound effects

- Misc
* Added volume control to options menu
* Added restart game to option menu

//Bug Fixes
- stopped flames being drawn when ship is in warp

Please do let me know what you think!

There are only incremental changes in this build whilst I work on the final gameplay feature - plotlines. I am currently implementing
- One-Off events.
One-time messages that will appear like "you encounter a drifting wreck, investigate? y/n". With outcomes, rewards, etc
- Plot Arcs
Right now I'm considering implementing plot arcs based around main characters. The core player role of "resuce humanity by defeating the glitch" will remain the same, but you will encounter characters like "the spy", "the politican", "the soldier" and they will have varied plot arcs with differing outcomes based on your decisions.

It's a BIG feature, like a choose-your-own-story book but one that has to react to the state of the game as the player progresses.. more on this as it develops!

Once this is done I need to start filling the game with more content
- navigational hazards
- more enemy types
- more weapons
- more modules
- XP upgrades for ships and weapons
- second NPC race

R.

Z

zendraw

i dont like only the 'fight to save humanity' part, its just done too meny times, espetially in movies.