• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows Double Dragon: Legacy (Fan made beat 'em up sequel)

K

Krenzathal77

Hey folks, just thought it was time to share this project I've been working on.

It's a fan made sequel to the Double Dragon series of arcade beat 'em up games and set 30 years later in modern times but keeping the retro aesthetic. As a huge beat 'em up fan myself, it came about after playing the rather disappointing Double Dragon IV which was released last year. I was also sick to death of all the really trashy openBOR made Double Dragon games out there which all seemed to be made off of the same template and were running variations of the same base code.

Anyway, I thought I'd have a stab myself, plus it gives me a chance to flex my music writing and pixel art skills as well as make some new characters.

I wanted to program this game from the ground up and see what I could do and I've ended up with this one level demo so far, and I may use the code for an original beat 'em up in the future.

The game uses an 8-button system for the combat and it defaults to keyboard control on startup, but I heavily advise going to the options screen and switching to a controller as it's easier on the fingers. The game is calibrated for a PS3 controller using the D-pad on it, although you will need something like ScpToolkit to make Windows "see it". However, I think an Xbox 360 controller will work right off the bat (not sure though as I don't have one).

It's a reasonably extensive move-set for each character (combos, grabs, blocks, hyper attacks, special moves etc.) but I've included a small manual describing how to do them all. There is a bugs list included too, so have a look at that first and please do tell me if anything crops up that isn't on there.

There's a bit of a story intro but that can be skipped if you want to get to the meat of the game.

Cheers folks!

The link below will directly download the rar file from google drive:

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1lXVafylPvk12241lWJ2JnbWzlMAJWILP

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DirectShift

Very very very good game!!

my thoughts on it:

+ music is very good
+ sound effects and graphics, amazing
+ the life bar color doesn't fit with the rest of the style... it should be more "rought... less color graduation
+ music stopping in the title screen when I move to menu... why?
+ in my opinion, enemies have too much life in the beginning... even a bit hard I would say
+ if I press both left and right keys... the player doesn't move but it plays the walking animation

I think that's all!

K

Krenzathal77

Very very very good game!!

my thoughts on it:

+ music is very good
+ sound effects and graphics, amazing
+ the life bar color doesn't fit with the rest of the style... it should be more "rought... less color graduation
+ music stopping in the title screen when I move to menu... why?
+ in my opinion, enemies have too much life in the beginning... even a bit hard I would say
+ if I press both left and right keys... the player doesn't move but it plays the walking animation

I think that's all!
Thanks for the great feedback, and for spotting that bug with the walk animation. I usually use the PS3 controller so I totally missed it, so thanks again!

I can only take a tiny bit of credit for the graphics as the sprites and tiles are modded from the original 1987 arcade game. It was still time consuming, but the bulk of the work was already done.

As for the the other points:

- Enemies health: Yeah the game is still very much a prototype and all the enemies just have full health at the moment. It's something I'll definitely sort eventually once I get the healthbar borders to change size.
- Music stopping at menu: A lot of those old games seemed to do this (including the 1988 NES Double Dragon port) so I just went with the flow and copied it as it felt right.
- Healthbar style: The gradient was actually done by accident and I kind of liked it so I kept it. I may just change it to the usual solid yellow over red, but a million other games do that.

Once again, thanks for the feedback. I very much appreciate it! :)

Raoul

Man, I just played it to the end of the level and beated the boss, you did an amazing job.
I know the first 3 DD games in and out, back in the lates 80's playing the first one and being able to complete it with header only :)

I hope you go on and start working on a new game using this code.

jeff300

Nice job, I hope you finish it.

What are you going to do with it when done? Sell it? Give it away?

Why did you choose the screen size and ratio you did? Why not 16:9? Why not allow full-screen?

K

Krenzathal77

Thanks for all the feedback folks.

jeff300, It's just a fan game and I don't own the rights so I'll have to give it away, which is fine as it's all about the love of the franchise. When I'll get around to finishing it is another story though!

Also about the screen, I wanted to keep the arcade feel so I used a similar aspect ratio to an 80s arcade game (this might change though). It's not full screen capable because it's still just a demo, and the scanlines don't look as good full screen just yet (another bug I'll have to sort).

B

bilal12pk

I have just made an account to admire your work it looks great I have not tried it yet but I am going to Thanks for your work dude

Kai Proton

I just found a video of this on Youtube, looks fantastic,
a style I always wanted to create, the D/load link doesnt work, is it uploaded anywhere else?

kinda kool, you have the hero from Vigilante in the background, and the first boss is from gang wars.

Never mind, I found it -- Cant wait to try it out

Last edited:

Raoul

Hi,
I came across this game, I had played its demo some time ago. I have also seen the youtube longplay and it looks great, will try it asap, great work guys!