• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Doom-like shooter examples?

Spam1985

What happened to all these?
It's been a long time since I've used GameMaker and I've forgotten how to make a basic fps game.

There used to be a first person shooter tutorial included with every version of GameMaker, not to mention tons of shooter examples that could be downloaded and modified.

Now when I try searching on my browser, there's pretty much nothing whatsoever.

What's going on here? Are there any examples out there that I can download and mess with/learn from?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: This is probably in the wrong section.

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
You can find the tutorial you are thinking of here: http://www.game-maker.nl/tutorials

Note though that the tutorial is for legacy versions of GameMaker and so may require some tweaking to work in GMS. You can also find online video tutorials for GMS on YouTube, like this one:

Spam1985

Thanks Nocturne.
The point is, there used to be many doom clone executables to download and mess with (inluding ones that were compatible with Studio) but they seem to have gone the way of the dodo.
I wonder if they were removed for legal reasons?

That tutorial video looks cool and all, but I wanted to make more of a 2.5 shooter with sprite-based guns and enemies.

I used to have a nice engine that I had made using code from various shooter examples. It had full mouse aim, physical bullets, enemy sprites that appeared to rotate depending on your view+their direction of movement (I'll never remember how I did that) as well as jumping mechanics and ramps.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
It may be that they are all still available on the archived GMC. You will just need to use the forum search to try and find them (as google no longer lists the old GMC :( ).