• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - GML Visual Don't think D&D is viable for gms2

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Frankfield

I've been playing with the gms2 beta and I've come to the conclusion that drag & drop isn't viable with it.

Why? because once you get even a little way into your game, the new workspace "thing" becomes very very cluttered and unmanageable. I guess it wouldn't be as bad if you purely use gml but for those of us who use D&D, I am finding it very hard to work with and my gms2 projects are not even 1 tenth the size of say a near complete game.

After reading about gms2 I was excited, the new D&D tools made it sound like D&D is finally going to be better and not the red haired stepchild of gml that attracts sneers and derision but this workspace thing makes it very hard to work with and it's just cluttered to heck.

anyone agree?

I

iSoloGaming

I've been playing with the gms2 beta and I've come to the conclusion that drag & drop isn't viable with it.

Why? because once you get even a little way into your game, the new workspace "thing" becomes very very cluttered and unmanageable. I guess it wouldn't be as bad if you purely use gml but for those of us who use D&D, I am finding it very hard to work with and my gms2 projects are not even 1 tenth the size of say a near complete game.

After reading about gms2 I was excited, the new D&D tools made it sound like D&D is finally going to be better and not the red haired stepchild of gml that attracts sneers and derision but this workspace thing makes it very hard to work with and it's just cluttered to heck.

anyone agree?
I started using it today and I have some experience with D&D (very little in GMS though, YEARS ago) but other programs recently. I must say I find it appealing.
THOUGH... I would like to see an expert comment here. Maybe they're still working on that feature and it will keep getting revised until it works as well as it did in 1.4

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
While documenting DnD I've been using it quite a lot, and while I can understand why you say that I've found a few things that have taken away the issue for me. The first one is to go to the Preferences > Text Editors setting and change the "Open Object Events In Fullscreen" setting to ON. This will make all events open in a full workspace and not in a window in the current workspace. I would also change the DPi setting in the section General > Workspaces > DPi to something slightly smaller (I have it set to 80 RAW DPi). You may want to increase the Icon size when doing this (Prefs > Drag and Drop) but that's up to you.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Cluttered workspaces is something I have been seeing a lot on here (despite YYG claiming its not an issue).
YYG sais there other sources claim its great.
I hope these other sources where not the surveys they took in early beta, as they where clearly biased towards positive answers or asking for first impression. They never asked for feedback on workspaces once you got more familiar with them.

P

PhenomenalDev

Fel666 I would look one comment above you and you have your answer.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Fel666 I would look one comment above you and you have your answer.
Already doing this.
Not a solution.

The fact remains that resources are still shown in workspaces, and getting lost is easy.

The workspaces offer no extra information. Chains are utterly useless, and just take up space.

I honestly can't believe they didnt go for more traditional tabs.
Had they opened any decent book on UI design, they would have known that Tabs have long been regarded as the holy grail of UI design. Its universally understood, requires minimal interactions and maximizes screen real estate.

What we have now is essentially the same as 1.x, but with wasted soave from the workspace system, but it encourages the user to leave windows open and simply pan the view, scattering windows everywhere - the problem they where trying to solve exactly.
At least with 1.x we knew when to close windows.

I

iSoloGaming

Already doing this.
Not a solution.

The fact remains that resources are still shown in workspaces, and getting lost is easy.

The workspaces offer no extra information. Chains are utterly useless, and just take up space.

I honestly can't believe they didnt go for more traditional tabs.
Had they opened any decent book on UI design, they would have known that Tabs have long been regarded as the holy grail of UI design. Its universally understood, requires minimal interactions and maximizes screen real estate.

What we have now is essentially the same as 1.x, but with wasted soave from the workspace system, but it encourages the user to leave windows open and simply pan the view, scattering windows everywhere - the problem they where trying to solve exactly.
At least with 1.x we knew when to close windows.
I started looking for what you're talking about (keep in mind I just started out) so I used some examples and other projects and I see what you mean. I hope they will find a way to solve this.

Though for now the above comments have some ways to manage it.

GMWolf

aka fel666
I started looking for what you're talking about (keep in mind I just started out) so I used some examples and other projects and I see what you mean. I hope they will find a way to solve this.

Though for now the above comments have some ways to manage it.
Don't get me wrong.
I love GMS2. Truly do!

Its just the workspace. I don't understand...
As far as I can tell, they wanted a modern looking node system, and came up with chains.
Chains are the only reason for workspaces to exist.

But what useful information do Cains convey, that are best conveyed through chains?
Really? This event block belongs to this object? Well, since objects only have one set of events, what's wrong with joining it to the main object window?!? I have it open 99.9% of the time, let me reclaim that space the chain + borders are using!

I

iSoloGaming

Don't get me wrong.
I love GMS2. Truly do!

Its just the workspace. I don't understand...
As far as I can tell, they wanted a modern looking node system, and came up with chains.
Chains are the only reason for workspaces to exist.

But what useful information do Cains convey, that are best conveyed through chains?
Really? This event block belongs to this object? Well, since objects only have one set of events, what's wrong with joining it to the main object window?!? I have it open 99.9% of the time, let me reclaim that space the chain + borders are using!
I am still testing it out to get a better understanding of the topic at hand and with every minute I get it more and more. If I had to deal with this when I design sound, I don't know what I would do... Sound Design requires INSANE organization (preferably). I can only imagine how much Game Dev requires proper organization and a proper workflow. Yea I can tell you love GMS2 but you're making good points.

I am DEFINITELY not spending another dollar until they improve this. I do not regret buying it, it's a fantastic program and I believe they will make it work better.
If it ends up staying this way. We will make it work and obviously I am not going to boycott them but I hope they will do something about it.

Jobo

GMC Elder
I'm never getting lost in workspaces... and I always say, if you're getting lost it's because you navigate it wrong. And workspaces are not intended to "offer information". They contain it, not offer it.

I would very much appreciate if you could provide a full explanation of exactly how you all manage to get lost and what you think the problems are, rather than just crying wolf. Maybe then we can take a look at solving it.

Had they opened any decent book on UI design, they would have known that Tabs have long been regarded as the holy grail of UI design.
No, they haven't. Tabs are the scapegoat of UI design. It's the go-to solution for when you're dealing with finite screen real estate (one of the hardest software design problems to solve). Our workspaces give us virtually infinite real estate (and you can have multiple tabs of infinite real estate!!) - which, yes, means you can get lost... but it's very hard to do, if you're not nonsensically attempting it.

Chains are not nodes. Chains are a graphical representation of a window parent-child relation. It means you can't end up with your object resource in one place, and its events in another place. Or confuse an events window with the wrong object resource.

Well, since objects only have one set of events, what's wrong with joining it to the main object window?!?
It took up way, way, way, way, way too much vertical real estate. You have a lot more horizontal screen real estate available, so it's only logical to make use of that.

A few tips you should consider trying...
  • Editor windows open in a vertical stack. This means you can just scroll up/down to find your windows, which is very useful if you know where the window you're going to is.
  • A workspace "Windows" context menu to jump to a specific window.
  • The holy grail of power user tools: Go To. Just press Ctrl+T anywhere in the IDE or right-click the Workspace.
  • The workspace overview window. Just press Ctrl+Tab anywhere in the IDE to see all workspaces and their windows.
  • Click to open the resource again in the resource tree. This will jump you to the resource if it's already open.
  • Zoom out to find your resource, then double click anywhere on the window to zoom in on it.
  • Enable "Allow workspace chains to overlap" in the preferences. General -> Workspaces.
  • Close a window when you're done using it, so it frees up room for the next thing you open. Alternatively purge the workspace once in a while by right-clicking the workspace and going Windows -> Close All.
Additionally we have plans to expand the information offered when you zoom out in a workspace and hopefully we'll get round to doing that relatively soon as I think it's rather important.

I

iSoloGaming

I'm never getting lost in workspaces... and I always say, if you're getting lost it's because you navigate it wrong. And workspaces are not intended to "offer information". They contain it, not offer it.

I would very much appreciate if you could provide a full explanation of exactly how you all manage to get lost and what you think the problems are, rather than just crying wolf. Maybe then we can take a look at solving it.

No, they haven't. Tabs are the scapegoat of UI design. It's the go-to solution for when you're dealing with finite screen real estate (one of the hardest software design problems to solve). Our workspaces give us virtually infinite real estate (and you can have multiple tabs of infinite real estate!!) - which, yes, means you can get lost... but it's very hard to do, if you're not nonsensically attempting it.

Chains are not nodes. Chains are a graphical representation of a window parent-child relation. It means you can't end up with your object resource in one place, and its events in another place. Or confuse an events window with the wrong object resource.

It took up way, way, way, way, way too much vertical real estate. You have a lot more horizontal screen real estate available, so it's only logical to make use of that.

A few tips you should consider trying...
  • Editor windows open in a vertical stack. This means you can just scroll up/down to find your windows, which is very useful if you know where the window you're going to is.
  • A workspace "Windows" context menu to jump to a specific window.
  • The holy grail of power user tools: Go To. Just press Ctrl+T anywhere in the IDE or right-click the Workspace.
  • The workspace overview window. Just press Ctrl+Tab anywhere in the IDE to see all workspaces and their windows.
  • Click to open the resource again in the resource tree. This will jump you to the resource if it's already open.
  • Zoom out to find your resource, then double click anywhere on the window to zoom in on it.
  • Enable "Allow workspace chains to overlap" in the preferences. General -> Workspaces.
  • Close a window when you're done using it, so it frees up room for the next thing you open. Alternatively purge the workspace once in a while by right-clicking the workspace and going Windows -> Close All.
Additionally we have plans to expand the information offered when you zoom out in a workspace and hopefully we'll get round to doing that relatively soon as I think it's rather important.

Appreciate the tips.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Lets agree to disagree... along with major software designers out there.
Workapces do offer infinite real estate, but nothing can maximize SCREEN real estate, you can only try to make the most of it.

If the two windows where joined together, then you would have the same benefit, without the lost space the extra window borders and chains have. Additionally, if they where part of a full screen ui like scripts can be, you would have even more screen realestate.
you talk of parent child relations, but given each object can have but one physics panel, and one event panel, chains are hardly the best way to represent them. collapsable sub-sections are far more sensible. (though admiteldy, less falshy looking on promotional material).

t took up way, way, way, way, way too much vertical real estate. You have a lot more horizontal screen real estate available, so it's only logical to make use of that.
You could join it horizontally, as it is now, but without the chain in the middle. DO you ever close the event window?
alternatively, a collapse sytem could be use. Take blender for example. Yes, the UI takes a long time to get used to. but once you understad it, it is by far the bes UI out there, as it minimized the number of manipulations needed to get to your information.

Editor windows open in a vertical stack. This means you can just scroll up/down to find your windows, which is very useful if you know where the window you're going to is.
That is often how i get lost: i have to scoll up and down many times before my eyes settle on what i was looking for.

The holy grail of power user tools: Go To. Just press Ctrl+T anywhere in the IDE or right-click the Workspace.
I use this already, along with the resource tree. That why i can use GMS2.
but it circumvents the workspace. If the only way to make the workspace usable is by introducing another way to navigate, then that speaks volumes about the workspace system.

Close a window when you're done using it, so it frees up room for the next thing you open. Alternatively purge the workspace once in a while by right-clicking the workspace and going Windows -> Close All.
Again, what is the point of infinite real estate if the solution is not to make use of it?

Im terribly sorry, I know a lot of work has been pu into the workspace system. But no matter how you look at it, The features either make little sense, or work to circumvent the workspace.

Just look ad @Mike s developemnt videos. He never uses workspaces. He mostly navigates using the resource tree. So even within your team, you have members that (at least subconciously) have problems with the workspaces.
quick random screenshot from one of his videos:
Screenshot (16).png
Notice how much space he is using, compared to the amount of space the worpsace uses up? Thats right! he is working on less than 1/2 of his screen real estate.
Now yes, there are way to go around that. But they break up the flow of the program. Why have 1/2 the resources show up in workspaces, and the other in full screen settings?
I mean, even you developers do not make use of it... Seriously, there is something wrong!
I could spend time analysing this in more detail, and probably will. infact, ill probably make mockups of what it could be like (some day, busy ATM).

All the solutions you offer to clutter, or poor use of real estate all go against the workspace. They either go around it (like ctrl + t) or dont make use of it at all (full screen scripts).
At that point, we may aswell be using tabs, instead of having this clucky workspace system you only use for 1/2 the resources.
not to mention that most resources never even use the chain workflow. - its a poor fit for GM's data model where there is no ownership. (I mean, whene there is parenting with objects, you dont even use chains there?!?)

Last edited:

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
One of the many things we have learned over the years with GameMaker is everyone is different and many are myopic in the point of view they espouse.

To that end we endeavour to provide for many variations in workflows and views within the product, we offer full screen approaches or workspace approaches and we aim to improve both over time, we are not arrogant enough to think that the way that we like things is the only way to do it, but we have a limited amount of time to work on these and we have to prioritise what we think will benefit the most users.

Not everyone that uses GMS2 comes to these forums (in fact I would say the majority do not) as painful as that may be for you to hear that, but we listen to all avenues of communication to us (direct, forums, help.yoyogames.com, reddit, facebook and twitter + more I have forgotten)

Workspaces don't work for you then fine, don't use them we are working to limit your use of them if you don't want that (you will see this in future builds) - we do listen... just don't try to tell us what everyone is thinking just because you don't like it, that just comes over as arrogant.

Russell

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
@Fel666 - Okay - enough. I've said over and over, we will improve things over time, but we are not ditching what is clearly a better system over 1.x. If I showed you a screen shot of how I used 1.x it would look a whole lot worse with windows hidden under layers upon layers of windows.

I've also said we are adding the ability to open all events at once into a full screen tab dedicated (and named) to that object, along with adding the "add event" menu to right click. This means if you are coding an object, you won't really need to look at the object window at all. We're also adding a preference so that a double click of the object will do this by default.
What we're not doing, is moving everything in an object window into a tab because that's not something I think is beneficial.

1.x was clutter in the extreme, simply look at the screen shots of even a couple of objects and scripts open, 2.x gets past this and there are lots of tools to help you navigate and I'm all for putting in more over time. If it offends you that much, use 1.x as you clearly like that workflow better - most don't.

But thanks for derailing another topic. *closed*

Status
Not open for further replies.