• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Don't really understand how to scale the view correctly

D

Den

So my room is 1280x720 and I changed the view in room size to 480x270 which is to zoomed, I need it more
zoomed out but when I try any other size it just looks all distorted. Is there like any certain sizes that keep
the overall image good like 480x270? Or could someone explain how I can work out the sizes myself?
I have looked into online but I just don't get it lol i'm super bad at maths hahah

RangerX

Your view can be whatever the size you want it to be. However, keep in mind your view size is your game's resolution. This means you probably want a view size that is 16:9 in screen ratio since its the most common screen ratio people are using.
If you want to learn about scaling and related knowledge, I tried to create a one place stop for scaling right here. There's quite much reading before you but its a large and complex topic.
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/how-to-properly-scale-your-game.995/

Else, the extreme basics you need to grasp:

Room size = your game happens inside
View size = the portion of your game you wanna see at once - its also the resolution of your game
Port size = the size at which you want the view to be draw on the application surface or the screen. Don't fret, set it always the same size as the view
Application surface = surface that GMS uses to draw everything and then it draws your game on screen. GMS resizes it, centers it and draws it on screen automatically. (You might want to take the control of that though depending the type of scaling you'll need down the road.

Reactions: Den
D

Den

There's quite much reading before you but its a large and complex topic.
Thanks man this helped a lot! I didn't understand it at all till I read your post on it, you explained it really really well :) thanks again

Last edited by a moderator: