Released Donkey Kong Redux - Online Score Saving

Raoul

When I was 10 I got a C64 and thought it could be programmed in natutal language. I literally wrote something like:

"10 I want a game where I am a plumber who needs to avoid barrels which are launched by Kong by jumping them. I need to reach the top of the screen, etc.."

Unfortunately I only got a Syntax error in exchange of my passionate description of the game.

35 years later I found the will to try it again and this time things have gone a bit better.

With this project I am trying to replicate the behaviour of the original Donkey Kong by Nintendo.
I tried to simulate the game logic and timing spending multiple hours watching videos of the original game.

Current version: Final 1.01

What is implemented
- Game is designed at its original resolution of 224x256 pixels at 60 FPS
- All 4 original levels
- Game logics, controls, collisions
- Difficulty increases each time player completes level 4
- Score saving (it saves scores in clear ini file)
- Online score saving
- Animations and scripted sequences among levels
- Enemies (Barrels, Fires, Springs,Cement Pies,Fireballs, Fireghosts)
- Full Sounds and Music
- Joypad support
- Arcade/Redux Mode

What is missing
- New level(s)

Arcade Mode lets you play the original 4 levels in the same oder as in the Jap version of DK. Name and Score will be saved only if bigger than 5th place

Redux Mode will include new levels when I will find the time to design them
Name and Score are saved regardless to their values
This is the option to chose if you want to save online all of your scores

it took me about 3 months coding on average 2 hours per day, please try it and provide feedback, suggestions, report bugs! :)

Link to latest Beta:
https://80s-arcade-games.itch.io/donkey-kong-redux

Game Controls
Arrow Keys/Joypad Left stick: ------- Movement
CTRL/Joypad B0/B1: ----------------- Jump
CTRL/Joypad B0/B1/Space: --------- Start Game - Skips Presentation/Cut Scenes
P: ------------------------------------------- Pause Game
ESC:---------------------------------------- Exit Game
I:--------------------------------------------- Toggle image color interpolation (Blur filter)
D:-------------------------------------------- Toggle Vsync (Enabled by default)
F: --------------------------------------------Toggle FullScren mode (Enabled by default)
S: --------------------------------------------Toggle FPS display on screen

Last edited:

Raoul

Hi,
I just added online score saving which seems to work so far.

Anyone interested to appear in the Leaderboard and beat the highscore? :)

just tried it and i must say, very accuroute to the source material! i tried to beat it, still on level 1 i never spent that much time with the original anyways. the addition of an extra "remixed" mode (reffering to the redux mode) it's awesome!
you trully spent time to make it accuroute and i credit that! awesome project overall!

Raoul

just tried it and i must say, very accuroute to the source material! i tried to beat it, still on level 1 i never spent that much time with the original anyways. the addition of an extra "remixed" mode (reffering to the redux mode) it's awesome!
you trully spent time to make it accuroute and i credit that! awesome project overall!
Hi, Thanks for your words, it makes me so happy that you could appreciate the effort put into this project.
It costed me hundreds of hours mainly because I had to play, record and watch tons of video with the original game so that I could take timings for events, and each possibile use case.

I am currently porting it to GM2.x and will add an ingame access to the top 10 online scores.

Also, I have just (I mean really now) finished another remake of the original game Phoenix, I need to prepare the readme file, remove the debug sections and will be online in a hour or so, give it a try ;)