Demo Doner Engine | A Secret of Mana Action RPG engine

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by cidwel, Nov 25, 2018.

1. cidwel

cidwel Member

Description:

Doner Engine is an Action RPG engine that tries to recreate all the mechanics used in Secret of Mana (SoM from now on). The engine itself is fully configurable and even, when finally released I will also bring some tools for easily customise it. The engine is based in SoM as a guideline to create every piece the engine needs to be complete. This is a work of years. The first build I compiled was dated in 2015, but I have taken it seriously and developed regularly in the last 2 years.

Download (a demo made with the engine!):
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    V 0.91.2: https://mega.nz/#!HeYDwITT!tiEyNZIMZOV5eTGLiSuXgKP3iskzQ5xFwQRzD0udLqQ
    - Fixed an error in the last cutscene
    - Added music in intro/playground
    - Fix some errors with input handling
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

As a hint. The girl can use healing magic. Check undine. Remember to spam it in all your party!!

[​IMG]

How much players can manage:

Infinite, the limit is your CPU.

[​IMG]
    yeah. Limit is the CPU, and mine's so bad

Engine plugins:

Right now all this plugins are made:

Battle engine:
    - Magics
    - Weapons
    - Enemy AI / Ally AI
    - Multiple players and inputs (up to infinite)
    - Character/Enemy progression: Stats, weaknesses, strengths, attack types
    - Fully functioning Ring menu
    - Equipment / gear system
    - Customisable HUD

Gameplay:
    - AI pathfinding (not as dumb as the original SoM)
    - Dialog system with emphasis modifiers (wait/input wait) with option selections
    - Cutscene creation with screen animation effects (earthquake/shake, flash, blends etc)
    - Shops!

I tried to be as accurate as possible in this engine to be like SoM, specially with the last bosses part. This came as a challenge to be able to create a full engine that would let me create a carbon copy of SoM. Only if I archieve this I will be sure that the engine is finished. It has implemented also all weapons (not the weapon level skills, sorry) and magics of SoM. All you see in the engine is not a placeholder. (even menu options)

[​IMG]
    two mages fighting.... adorable

Why SoM?:

Because I think that SoM has one of the best battle systems ever made. It combines the simplicity of the battle engine in 2D Zelda series while adding the complexity of a full RPG style. You can focus more in the story and less in the battle. Also it is fun to have allies with AI that can be controlled by another player anytime you want

The main goal with the engine is to have a fully functioning engine that will help me creating my next game. That way I will focus in art and story instead of dealing with the engine itself, since adding monsters/weapons/magics will be a piece of cake.

[​IMG]

this is why we can't have nice things

So.. give me the engine!!

I’m still deciding what I’m going to make with the engine. I’m not sure if I can make it as strong as possible to monetise it and give full support. Or maybe I will just release it in GitHub so people can download, play and improve it. All depends in how my future as an indie game developer is going to be built

[​IMG]
    Stress test like a macho

Special thanks:

One of the coolest engines I have added in this engine is the Pallete Swap engine by @Pixelated_Pope , It fits so well and helped me a lot trying to get all the pallets swap animations that happens in the original SoM. Also probably @matharoo since the engine has a z-depth engine that I’ve added thanks to one of his marvellous tutorials. Also a special thanks to @RichHopelessComposer, because knowing that is making a RPG that feels a bit inspired in the SoM gameplay makes me feel that this kind of engine can still gives us a lot of fun. Also it is great to have a rival (in the meaning of rival in Pokemon series, but not in pokemon Red/blue that is a *****, if you catch what I mean...) that inspires and motivates me to go further with this.

Right now I have to take a break with the engine since my life has changed a lot in this last year and have to focus in my professional career as a web frontender. I hope in some weeks will have the strength to continue improving the engine and work in my personal project that is made with this engine

Sorry for all the bugs you may encounter. Even If I tried to polish it, there's so many possible conditions that have not been tested

[​IMG]
    At the left, the ultimate Snes Emulator in HD!

I appreciate all feedback! Have fun!

PS: There's a folder called "databases" with all the info the game is managing. You can play with the values!

[​IMG]
    Call PETA now!

[​IMG]
    This started as a forced meme... and was added here with all my love

[​IMG]
    That's why I ended as a Web Frontend Engineer

[​IMG]
    3000 entities loaded, like if the AI cares

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  2. Siolfor the Jackal

Siolfor the Jackal Member

**** yeah! About time. I am very excitebike.

3. The-any-Key

The-any-Key Member

Looks good.
    But you do have the permission from ex @Pixelated_Pope to share his Palette Swapper for free on Git? Or how do you plan release it?
    Just asking, we had a earlier incident about this with another game engine posted on the forum some time back. That used other coders marketplace assets.

sitebender and cidwel like this.
  4. RichHopelessComposer

RichHopelessComposer Member

Looks great, cidwel! Your cutscene system is so impressive! I'm jealous! ; _ ;

Unfortunately, for some reason, the game is running at half-speed for me. Are you using RangerX's scaling method? I had a problem running his game when it was scaled up before. That was on another computer, but it was the only time I'd seen a GM game run so unexpectedly slowly, so I figure it might be the same problem this time. I'd like to play around with it more, but right now, it runs very slowly on my computer for whatever reason. ):

I'll try it on a different (faster) computer tomorrow, though. I want to see what you made running at full speed! ^ ^

Thanks for the kind words, too. Seeing your project always inspires me to work on mine, too. Old RPGs are awesome, and Secret of Mana is a timeless masterpiece! =D

Also:
    I hope you don't just end up quitting gamedev and giving this engine away on github. That'd be really depressing. Recreating SoM's engine so accurately shows that you have more attention to detail and talent than 99% of the people who try making games, in my opinion. It'd be a real shame if you didn't at least try your best making your own game with all this work. I think you'd probably make something pretty great. I've been looking forward to you starting to make your own assets and game for a year or two now. Please don't quit! ):

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    HeWhoShallNotBeNamed and cidwel like this.
  5. cidwel

cidwel Member

Now that you mention, in case that I decide to release the engine, no, the palleteswap plugin will not come to the final version. So probably I will make a simplified and custom palleteswap or just don't use it or find another one that I could pack and upload. Also, all the SoM resources will not be available (we make things legal, right?). I will use other resources made by me that will have a similar feel to SoM. Actually, the basic idea is to have a engine that resembles the mechanics in SoM, but the resources is something apart of the engine

Hmm... there's a lot of room for improvement with profiling and performance. There's a lot of subroutines that should be caped to execute 1 per second and I'm probably overspaming them just for testing purposes. Since I've seen them run smoothly in my different PCs, on my mac and my laptops I just left them like that. I wanted to focus in the engine itself and leave the cleaning for the future. If I see many people having slow performance I will focus this week in solving these issues. Please, try in a better PC and if you don't mind, what specs do you have?

Thanks for the kind words. I had fun trying to be pixel-perfect. Specially with magics. They are not just gif animations. They have a lot of maths inside to draw them, and I have learnt a lot thanks to that. Actually, releasing it to public will be if somehow I deceide that I don't want to continue with the gamedev scene. Still don't know when I will make that decision. Right now my plans are getting feedback to see if people is interested, improving it (so you don't have slowdowns) and creating my own game with it

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    RichHopelessComposer likes this.
  6. cidwel

cidwel Member

Ey @RichHopelessComposer, I have updated a YYG Compiler version. It should run smoothly (I'm assuming when you make a build it is not made in YYG-compiller, but probably I'm missing things)

7. RichHopelessComposer

Unfortunately, it's still running half speed. ):
    I don't think it's because your game is badly optimized - my game uses thousands of objects and stuff sometimes when I'm testing new features, and it never lags. I think it has something to do with GameMaker itself. Again, the only time I've seen a GM game randomly lag like this was in RangerX's game, and it was because of the way he was scaling his game window. When I played his game without scaling, it ran ten times faster. Are you scaling your game using Ranger's method?

8. cidwel

cidwel Member

Unfortunately i don't know what method is this. But in essence, the windows is scaled x3 of the actual resources resolution.

This is what I add in all my viewports. So technically the real resolution of the game is 427x240

[​IMG]

Also, I'm using a special configuration of the texture page due some technical problems with tiles:

[​IMG]

Do you think this might be the issue? I think I could just create a non-scaled resolution with the possibility to go to fullscreen.

What do you think? I haven't found issues related with this and might be interesting to see if viewport scaling could be broken.

Many thanks! I would really like you to have the honour to test it. It might give you some inspiration in some way. And that would make me happy

9. RichHopelessComposer

Hmmm....the scaling is just the same basic way I'm doing it, so that can't be the problem. What did you change about the texture page? The size?

My graphics card *is* really weak. Maybe it can't handle larger texture pages easily or something, I dunno.

Anyway, my computer is old and weird, so I wouldn't worry too much about it not running quickly on my computer. It's probably something to do with my gpu or something, and not with how your game is optimized - like I said, I've used thousands of objects in my game before without slowdown while testing, so I think the problem here is probably just some strange edge case with GM and my old PC. :x

I'm happy to test out anything you want to test, though!

cidwel likes this.
  10. cidwel

cidwel Member

MMmm. I'll try to reduce the Texture pagesize, but right now there's a bug where you change the pagesize and all the tile configuration thrashes completely so you have to add again all tiles in all rooms.
    Yoyo has this as a known issue and IIRC they will fix it eventually. The worst part is that... i don't remember why I've added that pagesize...

What are the specs of your computer? The hard part of this is that, is practically difficult to have a testing computer with lower specs. Right now my lowest computer is a laptop with an i5 as a processor, 8gb of ram and an ATI card (a lower one but better than an integrated one)

Thanks for the support! I really want to make it playable for you :p

11. AlmyriganHero

AlmyriganHero Member

untitled.png

Sorry not sorry.

cidwel and Bearman_18 like this.
  12. cidwel

cidwel Member

omg hahahahahah you made my day. To be fair i had the constant feeling of thinking "Why i'm spending so much time with this". At least now I can say: it has been a fun trip

13. Vereor Nox

Vereor Nox Member

It's great to see other people have as much passion for Secret of Mana as I do. Creating an ARPG like SoM has always been a life long goal of mine.

Hope you are able to continue with this project. It would be awesome to be able to use your engine someday.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    cidwel likes this.
  14. cidwel

cidwel Member

Thank you for the kind words! Means so much for me.

Creating an ARPG like SoM was my life long goal too! This is something that I have to accomplish no matter what.

Finally I took a decision at least for this very moment. Right now I have two projects in mind. One ia a long time project that could easily take between 5-10 years to finish. It is a standard ARPG with a long plot that I prototyped so many years ago. The other one is a small dungeon crawler with a nice plot. It has part of the essence of a roguelike where every run is different. I want to add the fun like Crypt of the Necromancer has, that is very focused on randomly strong weapons and skills that makes the run experience very fun and pleasant. With this project i want to experiment with the engine capabilities and with the freedom it gives me to add new mechanics so easily. Even if I have pretty much the core for making it, I will need probably between 1 or 2 years to finish it. I will add more information probably in a new WIP thread.

Hopefully making a small game will help me to learn more about the market, that is one of the hardest points in gamedev. If this game hits some interest in a small part of gamers then I will dedicate my full time to start the new project hopefully with a larger team

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  15. cidwel

cidwel Member

Here are some parts I made while I was creating my next game using this engine

[​IMG]
    spare :(

[​IMG]
    He attac, he protec but most important, he magiks

And also other pics related with the engine:

[​IMG]
    Matharoo has really great tuts there! Z-axis implemented

[​IMG]

Luna magic bug works here too!

[​IMG]
    PixelatedPope is one of my heroes!

I'm still defining things, making tests and creating the new sprite for the hero so... I will create a new thread for the new game I'm making when I replace most of the SoM assets

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  16. RichHopelessComposer

Awesome! This thread always gives me energy. Glad to see you starting to work on your own game's unique features, too! Is that your own art, too? The gems and stone things the player is hitting?

Looking forward to more! ^ ^