OFFICIAL [DONE] GMC Feedback Survey #2

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by rmanthorp, Jul 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmanthorp

rmanthorp YoYo Games Staff Admin YYG Staff

Back in September last year, we ran a Feedback Survey that gave us loads of great data on the GMC. We wanted to run a similar one to see how things have changed! Follow the link below and let us know how you are feeling about the GMC.

Thanks!!

[FINISHED]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Kezarus, Bart and SilentxxBunny like this.
  2. True Valhalla

True Valhalla Full-Time Developer GMC Elder

Glad to see another one of these. I shared a few opinions:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  3. SilentxxBunny

SilentxxBunny Epsilon

Thank you for doing this. You guys have always been great listeners. I'll fill one out later today. :)

Kezarus and rmanthorp like this.
  4. rmanthorp

rmanthorp YoYo Games Staff Admin YYG Staff

Appreciate this. Thanks, TV. I know that we 'as YYG' could be doing a lot more forum posting these days.

SilentxxBunny and True Valhalla like this.
  5. FrostyCat

FrostyCat Member

I have also submitted my response. Like TrueValhalla, I also believe there is an issue with the "usefulness" and "supportiveness" on the GMC. It is not all that useful once you stop needing help with basic coding questions, and in many ways it is supportive in the wrong places.

In particular, I think the GMC is supportive of many perverse incentives when it comes to coding. It encourages tutorial plagiarism and worship, it supports D&D ignorance and denigration, and it promotes using other people as an on-call resource instead of a last-resort. Being friendly isn't everything. You need to put technical proficiency and self-sufficiency ahead of that to be truly effective as a development-oriented community. And sometimes that means calling stuff out.

For disclosure, here are my comments for the last question:

6. wipeout2185

wipeout2185 Member

More staff engagement and maybe a section for small staff demos/examples that others can learn from or discuss the reasons why it was made that way and if any possible optimisations that could be made.

SilentxxBunny and Toque like this.
  7. SilentxxBunny

SilentxxBunny Epsilon

Is that what this is? A "development" community? I bought GM5 specifically because I wouldn't need to program (and kept getting free upgrades til like 2012.)

Edit: I do not want this to turn into an argument, but that's a serious question for me. I honestly have no interest in belonging to a programming community, but if I'm the minority here...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  8. FrostyCat

FrostyCat Member

I said "development-oriented community", not "coding-oriented community". Do you know the difference?

Hint: All coding is development, but not all development is coding.

9. SilentxxBunny

SilentxxBunny Epsilon

Fair enough. No, I didn't know that. I do know that I'm a terrible coder, enjoy making games, have been afraid to ask for help, and love the marketplace.

That's all I have to contribute to this conversation. Thanks again YYG.

10. curato

curato Member

Yeah I would say since they separated GML from DND there hasn't been a lot forum support for DND like there is for GML. I know the other day I had to create DND project to look to explain to someone where a function was exactly. When they were mashed together I would do both especially for stuff like click a button to change to a room you really could drag and drop that faster that you could code it really and then you could see what it was easier. I also miss being able to drag and drop my code in separate little items in an event and use the comment to label what each did. Made it so readable. I might be in the minority having a joy for self documenting things.

11. Toque

Toque Member

Yes that would be great.

I used drag and drop a few years before GM. I thought I could just drop into GM DND and carry on. But I found the code difficult to read and follow. Help on the forums was” use GML. “. So I just went to GML.

I think people really do want to help with DND questions but don’t know how to use it.

Is there any forum staff that help with DND questions?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    SilentxxBunny likes this.
  12. Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable Time Killer

Re: "it promotes using other people as an on-call resource instead of a last-resort."

If you are referencing what I think you are, I couldn't agree more. It seems that people on here get an error from their code, and their first instinct is to ask a question on the GMC and let other users who have zero access to their code do all the debugging for them until the problem is resolved, when really, that should be a last resort when you can't rid of an error and have been debugging it for days, then I would say you have some right to expect help from the community, even then, people shouldn't be so needy that they expect the community to do everything for them. That should never be a first instinct. Debugging issues on your own should always be the first priority of the developer. No matter how experienced. Most of what I know as a programmer, artist, digital music composer, and game developer, above all else, is reading documentation in the case of programming, and hands on experience. Not asking everyone to fix my game. The latter is not learning; it is the easy way out, and at the end of the day your code works when others fix it for you, you just have no first hand experience in knowing why tf it works...

SilentxxBunny likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.