• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Does YoYo ever plan on expanding outside of GML

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not get rid of GML, that language is actually pretty useful to newcomers. I'm talking about adding more support like adding Delphi, or C#, or C++ even.

From what I've read from Wikipedia, C++ was used for the runtime, and C# was used for the IDE. So I think that adding more programming languages would be a good idea for either if you want to transition to a new language, or if you want to expand what could be added to your game.

• Thinking
Reactions: Mut

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I can't speak for them...but I seriously doubt that will expand beyond GML in the near future. Having multiple languages as I've seen it in other engines seems to not end up working out well. Unity had 3 for years and ended up dropping two so they could focus on C#. Unreal only has C++(except if you count Blueprints), and IIRC the only support for another language they have is being done by the community and not Epic. Godot has multiple options, but I've seen posts in the past where that seems to not be working out as good as well.

The one place I think they might have you using C# is if they ever get around to implementing IDE plugins. Unity does the IDE stuff in C#, because the IDE itself is also using the engine itself and so the C# stuff is there handy, but the GML run-time stuff isn't running directly for the IDE itself like with Unity, so they would either have to make that change, or have us use C# for the IDE stuff(assuming its accurate that C# is what's being used for the IDE, which I think is accurate).

That said, there is still much improvement that can be done with GML itself. They took some big steps with 2.3, but there is plenty more that they can do. And GML at this time isn't really a bottleneck, despite the features it is missing, so I don't really see much reason to go beyond it for actual game coding.

Mert

Runtime is not just C++ in Game Maker. Depending on the target platform(and YYC option), it differs.
And as it's mentioned above, multiple language support was tried and found not efficient in the past(See Unityscript)

Padouk

if you want to expand what could be added to your game.
They are already providing a few extension points for the runtime. Obvisouly the langage depends on the platform... Javascript for HTML5, C++ for most others...
Yes.. those extension points are limited.... Yet still useful enough to expand some of your game capabilities if this is the only thing you are looking for.

Does YoYo ever plan on ...
It's hard to have publicly available visibility right... We can guess... but it's probably best to wait for their imminent update to the roadmap (https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/231719448-GMS2-Roadmap).

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
There have been no official announcements about this.

With that said... no speculation allowed, and this topic sounds like a breeding ground for that, so I'll have to lock it.

Status
Not open for further replies.