• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Discussion Does somebody knows where can I learn more about music?

T

Thexel PIN

I'm interested in music composition and the youtube tutorials won't cut it. Until now most of what I know has been self-taught, so I would like other sources...

K

Kuro

I'm interested in music composition and the youtube tutorials won't cut it. Until now most of what I know has been self-taught, so I would like other sources...
There are often music theory courses on EdX, MIT's free online learning platform. Courses are completely free to join and participate in. EdX make money from selling optionall certificates of completion. https://www.edx.org/

If you're looking for something more specific to video game music, I know there's a udemy.com course by Karleen Heong that focuses on composing video game music. If you wait till one of Udemy's many sales (feels like they have a sale on every other week) you can pick it up for as little as $15.

0.Bytes

They have some good material here https://en.coursera.org/berklee.

If you are going to study via youtube, I would suggest you to learn some basic music theory first, then download a DAW, learn to use, if you need help send me a message

G

gibberingmouther

i agree with NazGhul. also while more music theory can't hurt i think it's mainly exposure to existing compositions that teaches you how to compose. you compose piece by piece and determine each piece by whether it sounds right/good or not.

C

Codec080

I suggest you start by learning a real instrument and listening to lots of music genres. If you want to make game music, start listening to lots of game music. Once you get the hang of your instrument, try learning songs you like. This will develop your ear. Also, pay attention to the parts of a song and try to understand what feels sad/happy about the song.
Then, try to recreate it.

I recommend you this youtube channel:
They got some pretty interesting stuff.

I also suggest you get a DAW like FL studio and mess around. The software has a free trial and you can get a ton of soundfonts that are pretty good for composing game music. (SGM, Setzer spc, zunpet, theyre the ones I use the most). Theyre all free and theres hundreds of them on the internet.

The best advice I can give you is to start doing things and keep doing it. You can only get better.

K

Koohyar

Composing a music theme is a lot easier on a real instrument (specially something easy like the guitar). So I suggest you to first learn guitar in an intermediate level, because it's a must-have for any composer. After that you can get into boring stuff like music theory (which isn't that much important I think).

Generally, you can compose your own awesome tracks if you listen to a lot of music and play a lot of music I believe.

K

Kuro

Composing a music theme is a lot easier on a real instrument (specially something easy like the guitar). So I suggest you to first learn guitar in an intermediate level, because it's a must-have for any composer. After that you can get into boring stuff like music theory (which isn't that much important I think).

Generally, you can compose your own awesome tracks if you listen to a lot of music and play a lot of music I believe.
Theory means a 'body of knowledge' and music theory means the 'body of knowledge concerning music'. By learning guitar to an intermediate level you are learning music theory regardless. The only difference is whether you want to just pretend it doesn't exist because it has a scauurry word in it, or instead take an interest in it and be able to formally describe things you're already learning anyway. ;p

K

Koohyar

Well not exactly. You can learn guitar by ear without much theory. The shapes of the chords aren't really "music theory". xD

K

Kuro

Well not exactly. You can learn guitar by ear without much theory. The shapes of the chords aren't really "music theory". xD
Yeh because the shapes of the chords have nothing to do with what sounds are valid, and what sounds are valid are totally nothing to do with music theory :rolleyes:.

What you said is literally equivalent to saying "I can write a program without understanding algorithmic theory therefore programming doesn't really have anything to do with algorithms."

Someone can construct a building without being formally educated in structural engineering theory, and if its still standing after several decades then they probably did a good job. Which means they probably used some sound structural engineering principles inadvertantly even without being directly aware of the reasons for them, or formal knowledge of what such structural engineering principles are even called. But their ignorance of where structural engineering begins and ends is not proof that the subject of structural engineering wouldn't concern itself with the reasons the building is still standing.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Koohyar

I didn't mean that music theory is nonsense. I meant with the guitar in your hands you can make good tracks without even knowing how to read standard notation or what scales you are using. And this is based on my experience, because I play guitar without even knowing how to read standard notation and without even knowing a single scale. But I still based on "experience" "know" what sounds good and what does not.

So for some people who aren't in the mood of all that boring stuff, having a guitar and knowing the chords and having a good composing software is all they need to make their original tracks which sound good and work well for them. So the quicker way is to jump right into it and start playing with the guitar and making different combinations of themes.

You can mess with the theory later (if ever necessary).

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
My story is kind of the opposite.
I learned years of music theory and did lots of theory exercises before even trying to compose.
Here is one work by me:

My biggest teacher in composing is listening, listening the notes and chords of existing music and applying it to my pieces.
Trying to understand the music theory behind pieces I love makes me learn a lot.

0.Bytes

Of course that learning music theory is a great tool to compose, but that is not mandatory, I know a lot of guys who had never had a "formal" musical education and they are good musicians.

There are a lot of websites and videos on the web where you can actually learn music theory, learn how to play.

First learn music theory and how to play an instrument, then try to get better, after that is the ideal point to you download a Daw like Cubase, Pro Tools, Reaper and start to creating music. At least this is what I suggest xD

Yeh because the shapes of the chords have nothing to do with what sounds are valid, and what sounds are valid are totally nothing to do with music theory :rolleyes:.

What you said is literally equivalent to saying "I can write a program without understanding algorithmic theory therefore programming doesn't really have anything to do with algorithms."

Someone can construct a building without being formally educated in structural engineering theory, and if its still standing after several decades then they probably did a good job. Which means they probably used some sound structural engineering principles inadvertantly even without being directly aware of the reasons for them, or formal knowledge of what such structural engineering principles are even called. But their ignorance of where structural engineering begins and ends is not proof that the subject of structural engineering wouldn't concern itself with the reasons the building is still standing.
*BEEP* TARGET ACQUIRED *FZZZZZT*
Pedantry level: Analyzing
. . . . .
Analyzing
. . . . .
Analyzing
. . . . .
Ana - *fzzzzztchhhhhhhhhhhhhhzzzhhzhhhhhhzhhhhtt*
WARNING
ERROR
WARNING
PEDANTRY LEVELS OFF THE CHARTS
WARNING
IMMEDIATE EVACUATION SUGGESTED
WARNING
WARNING
WARNING

:p

You did this in the GM pricing thread, too. Stop, please! X'D
When someone says "I don't think learning music theory is that important to composing, you can probably just get by by learning an instrument" they OBVIOUSLY mean that you can get by without the formal, purposeful study of music theory through books or courses focused on the subject. They don't need you to explain "Well ACTUALLY, all music is music theory by definition, dummy! LOL." C'mon, Kuro. You're killing me, here.
Not literally killing me. Figuratively killing me. Please don't explain how you couldn't possibly be killing me since you're at home eating a sandwich or whatever. I know. I said I know! NO, I 💩💩💩💩ING KNOW GOD! GET OFF OF ME!

/rant :'D
Thanks for the music links, though. Good resources. I also agree with you that anyone looking to compose music should look into music theory books or courses. Not needed, but it won't hurt. =)

Last edited:
K

Kuro

*BEEP* TARGET ACQUIRED *FZZZZZT*
Pedantry level: Analyzing
. . . . .
Analyzing
. . . . .
Analyzing
. . . . .
WARNING
ERROR
WARNING
WARNING
WARNING
WARNING
WARNING

When someone says "I don't think learning music theory is that important to composing, you can probably just get by by learning an instrument" they OBVIOUSLY mean that you can get by without the formal, purposeful study of music theory through books or courses focused on the subject. They don't need you to explain "Well ACTUALLY, all music is music theory by definition, dummy! LOL." C'mon, Kuro. You're killing me, here.
Not literally killing me. Figuratively killing me. Please don't explain how you couldn't possibly be killing me since you're at home eating a sandwich or whatever. I know. I said I know! NO, I ****ING KNOW GOD! GET OFF OF ME!

Thanks for the music links, though. Good resources. I also agree with you that anyone looking to compose music should look into music theory books or courses. Not needed, but it won't hurt. =)
Ana - *fzzzzztchhhhhhhhhhhhhhzzzhhzhhhhhhzhhhhtt*
WARNING
ERROR
WARNING
WARNING
WARNING
WARNING
WARNING

Not literally killing me. Figuratively killing me. Please don't explain how you couldn't possibly be killing me since you're at home eating a sandwich or whatever. I know. I said I know! NO, I ****ING KNOW GOD! GET OFF OF ME!

I'm happy I inadvertantly provided you the chance to make robot noises.

F

Falconsoft-Industries

I would suggest using garage band on a MacBook Air pro.

K

Kuro

I wouldn't do that. Then I'd have nobody to torture with the annoying and inescapable realities of life. But I feel compelled to point out that if I would have done it, there are several... *what follows is extensive list of observations. Slowly your sanity begins to crumble*