• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Distribution Does likeability play a big part in ads?

G

Gedor Games

So when you advertise your games does likeability play in and how much? I think it is important that you are aware that when you write something or reply to people that you are also representing your company. Being nice and helpful towards other people and not being angry and hateful towards those who dont like your game or criticize it in a negative manner is important.

If someone sees your game and comment on something they dont like about it and you act nicely towards them and try to see if you can improve the game more so that the person might enjoy it then that would be good advertisement and you might have gained another buyer of your game.

Another aspect of it is the help you get from other game developers and people who play and promote games. If you are known for being nice and contribute a lot to the community and indie developers in general than maybe more people will be willing to help you out and your game.

For me personally I do like to help out in the little way that I can, for example If I see someone I recognize from the forum on twitter I will follow them, like some of their posts and sometimes retweet one of their tweets, I know it is not much but it always feels good when you can help out another game developer even if it just in a small way.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
There's nothing I find particularly attractive about a product or ad being likeable. The key is about being respectful and professional.

It's 100% possible to be likeable but a complete ass to work with. This is the case for a number of recent mobile and web apps (e.g. Dropbox, SnapEngage, etc.), where you get inundated by "how may I help you" and "you may like this" and all sorts of friendly crap the instant you start using it, some from the app and some from staff. You can make a case for that being likeable, but forcing that down my throat when I don't want it is neither respectful nor professional.

G

Gedor Games

There's nothing I find particularly attractive about a product or ad being likeable. The key is about being respectful and professional.

It's 100% possible to be likeable but a complete ass to work with. This is the case for a number of recent mobile and web apps (e.g. Dropbox, SnapEngage, etc.), where you get inundated by "how may I help you" and "you may like this" and all sorts of friendly crap the instant you start using it, some from the app and some from staff. You can make a case for that being likeable, but forcing that down my throat when I don't want it is neither respectful nor professional.
I can fully understand that, I was mostly talking about how you as a person responds towards other people and not about ads that forces things on people. I dont really like automatic messeages that just want you to like or show interest towards other products. Being friendly but at the same time act both professional and respectful towards other people is probably a good combination.

S

seanm

There are 2 things here.

1) Networking. Being friendly with people in the industry is always good.

2) Not being a dick online. People can and will prevent you from being successful if they feel like it. Don't give them a reason to. Games exist because people play them.

M

MishMash

I'd say that not being a jerk helps when you are representing your companies interest. Though I don't believe you need to be unduly nice, being bubbly is somewhat annoying and sometimes you have to disagree with your consumers, or people who are leaving comments. I tend to ignore people who flame at me, though if someone offers constructive criticism, i'll be happy to discuss it. If its something that doesn't work for the game, i'll explain why I don't think its a good idea, but I won't have a go at someone for it.

For me personally, I don't like to put myself on a pedestal when just chatting with people (in a project-related context). As occasionally when streaming, you get younger people who are impressed and want to help you out, and it is a fantastic feeling when someone looks up to you and respects you, though at the same time, I don't feel comfortable big-ing myself, or my project up too much. It's just fun to share progress on things you are working on :)

I think we can all agree that common sense dictates that if you are mean and insult people all the time, you are going to get a lot of flak for it and it gives people a reason to hate on you and your project. I never want to be in a position where people who are reviewing my game are saying "The developers are d1cks for deleting my post".

Though in contrary to one of my above points, I don't necessarily think it is a fantastic approach to pander too much towards specific people. I understand follow-for-follow culture is a thing on twitter, and this is one of the reasons I don't really like twitter, as there is just alot of circle jerking. If I see a project that I think looks bad, I'll be honest about it (or just ignore it). I don't really think commenting and liking other people's project solely for the purpose of hoping they will like yours will generate a true interest in your game. Breaking it down to fundamentals, the most important thing for the success of your game is creating something that is above all else interesting for people to follow.
Your public conduct only affects how a small number of people perceive you, and only has a negative impact once you already have followers, and its just one of those things that will hinder your marketing strategy, but being falsly-positive won't necessarily generate true interest in your game in the long run. (In my opinion)

G

Gedor Games

I just wanted to add that the most important thing is of course to have a good game and make sure that people know that it is out there. I guess as long as you dont behave like an idiot towards other and make people turn against you it is fine. I also wanted to clerify that when I am talking about being nice I dont mean it in a dishonest way to just get people to like you, if I like something it is because I like it and if I dont like something I usually just ignore it.