Design does incompetech music suck? (thread 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Misty

I spent 8 hours listening to every single song on Incompetech music. Could not find a song that truly fit. For example when you play a bullethell game all the songs are cool and adventurous. But on incompetech its hit and miss. First you have to wonder why is it called incompetech' music...? I go through their songs, they have a couple songs that start off nice, then have a really weak middle. The songs just never fit in with anything you want it to. I try each and every song, and none of the songs really fit or sound like good videogame music. The music just sounds too heavy. And then I hit matharoos game, the game that deserves to win the Jam, and his music is just so light and crisp and fitting. Turns out, he didn't even use Incompetech music.

I am wondering, what are your opinions? Does incompetech music suck or does not suck? Is using incompetech music a guarantee that your game will not have the special something extra, pesto de- resistance for instance?

E

Edmanbosch

I think that really, unless the music is just a placeholder or for a game jam type of thing(if the rules allow it), then you should never use music from some random website. It will be very hard to find the music you are looking for to fit into your game, and can make the game feel less "unique". Either create the music yourself, find someone who is willing to work for you for it, or perhaps even commission someone to make a song for your game.

Niels

It doesn't "suck", it's well crafted music that's free to use for anyone... if you really want something that fits your game/style you hire a composer...

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
This topic is pretty insulting... Kevin McLeod is a professional that does an excellent job at creating music which is accessible to everyone and in a massive range of styles. As such, you can like his music more or less, but saying it "sucks" just demonstrates ignorance and a severe lack of respect for someone that is giving a hell of a lot of hard work for free to the world. Can you same the same about yourself?

If you want to have a reasoned debate on the ubiquitousness of his music, or better still, a debate on the pros and cons of royalty free music, then this is not the way to do it.

Topic closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.