Windows Does GM2 open GM 1.4 project files?

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by pixeltroid, Dec 3, 2018.

1. pixeltroid

pixeltroid Member

I've been consofecons buying GM2 for a while .

But I have a few concerns.

For that last 2 years or so I have been working with gm1.4.

1. Does GM2 handle gm1.4 files well? Have you experienced any glitches or compatility issues?

2. Can GM2 import objects and rooms from GM1.4 projects?

3. I read that GM2 include a GM1.4 license as well. Is this true? Because I'd much rather prefer to continue working with GM1.4 that I'm more familiar with than waste time trying to acquaint myself with GM2.

I don't want to end up buying GM2 only to find out that my current project is incompatible with it!

2. YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ Forum Staff Moderator

GMS2 converts imported project 1.4 projects to 2.x format and replaces any deprecated/renamed functions with compatibility scripts. Unless you were doing strange things with macros, the games usually compile and run with little to no changes; if you were using 1.4 tile or d3d functions, you would gradually swap those out for 2.x equivalents.

Only if you bought it in about 1-year window after launch, so not anymore, and also GMS1.4 does not receive any further updates now. I can suggest GMEdit if you can't get used to workspaces.