1. Hey! Guest! The XXX GMC Jam will take place between August 24th, 12:00 UTC (Friday noon) and August 27th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone use Pascal anymore?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Brianvoges, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Brianvoges

Brianvoges Member

Hello folks,

I am no programmer, but I have dabbled a little bit. Back when I was in University, Pascal was the language of choice. Turbo Pascal was the dominant platform on PCs.

2. breakmt

breakmt Member

It is out of business a long time ago.
    Some university / schools still teach it... And few companies even do programs with Delphi (specially old programs, cause it is too expensive to rewrite them). But they are minority.
    PS: GameMaker 1.4 is Delphi program and I think developers didn't enjoy this fact.

3. Mercerenies

Mercerenies Member

I do! But literally for no other reason than to say that I have. No, Pascal isn't really used in industry very much. That being said, your learning was not in vain. The first language you learn is always the hardest; picking up new ones after that is much easier.

4. kagamma

kagamma Member

I still use Pascal a lot. For quick 3D prototyping, I use Castle Game Engine which was written in Free Pascal. The ability to open 2D/3D scenes in any text editor/modeler, make a few changes, then save it and watch the engine automatically reload it on-the-fly is extremely handy. Oh and it has it own version of Spine runtime too so there's no need for Spine license to use it :p

5. Nathanmg

Nathanmg Member

I used Pascal for one class something like 14 year ago, it actually made me realise I enjoyed coding, granted I'm only just now really trying to turn coding into a means of making money (the last decade of my life hasn't been particularly productive work wise).

6. Freesoftwarewiz

Freesoftwarewiz Member

Seriously guys? There are over 2 million registered Delphi users world-wide. And since the new FREE "Community Edition" was released by Embarcadero this summer - essentially a full pro version of the RAD studio - and it creates Apps for Windows, MAC, IOS, Linux and Android simultaneously, from ONE set of code (one project design, 5 platforms), that number is sure to grow. Personally, I have made a small fortune creating and selling Apps made with Delphi. I WILL admit, they were not games. Gamemaker and GML are still better for doing that. :)

7. Rob

Rob Member

Pascal was the first language that I was taught and I was lucky enough to make a friend in the class who was already proficient in the language so I learned something from him too. I was still very n00bish though.

I couldn't get my head around Cobol and my coding stopped there for over a decade until I saw GameMaker Studio and decided to give it a try.