• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

iOS Documents and Data size keeps increasing

D

djrain

I just started using Testflight to do the final testing of my game on my iPhone. My game does some saving using .ini files. Not much gets saved, just a few variables and a ds grid to store the game board. Basically I just save the game automatically after the player makes a move. The game deletes the save file if it exists, recreates it, and closes it. When the game starts, it loads the file if it exists and then closes it.

The weird thing is that the save data seems to keep on getting bigger. The app itself is only 12 MB. Before anything gets saved, my phone shows the "Documents and Data" size for the game at 29 KB. Then with each successive save and load, the size jumps way up (loading can increase it by around 5 MB each time, saving seems to be less). I've seen it go as high as 25 MB.

Am I doing something wrong when saving? It's as if the old files are still sitting around or something, but I don't see how that's possible.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that since my game uses the HeyZap extension, the increasing data storage may be related to ads being cached or something. Not sure though...

Last edited by a moderator: