Discussion Do you think the gaming community has become too toxic?

• Thread starter Sabrina Stoakes
  • Start date
M

Misty

As for me, there are fans and critics. Always, just no matter what you do.
Fans will appreciate the things developers create. They may give constructive critics and they sure know that development is not so easy.
Critics are usually toxic. They try to find bugs in your game, features of Mary Sue in your characters. Usually, critics are not developers at all and that is a pity.
And that's a common problem, not for gaming only. Toxic people exist, they don't like anything and it's better to ignore them.
Yes, ignore Simon Cowell because he doesn't like your singing. Critics, truth-sayers, etc. should be ignored and instead it should be a society of narcissists who believe they are all perfect and that all their products are flawless.

Last edited:

flerpyderp

Yes, ignore Simon Cowell because he doesn't like your singing. Critics, truth-sayers, etc. should be ignored and instead it should be a society of narcissists who believe they are all perfect and that all their products are flawless.
I had to do a double take on who made this post.

Cameron

I don't think that was the implication here and you make some wild leaps in your attack on their comment.

Simon Cowell, as abrasive as he is, brings to the table knowledge of the craft he passes judgement on. He comes from a place of discipline and tough if not bitter love. And yes he's full of himself and a bit of a twat too.

I read snowstorm's post as a reference to "haters", people who pass judgement as carelessly as they pass gas, with little to no value, knowledge or care. You can find these people everywhere, just go to a you-tube video that accepts comments and you find them peppered throughout.

And for the record, critic is not synonymous with truth-sayer. Critics aren't always right therefore it is not necessarily the truth.

Furthermore, noone is advocating for "society of narcissists who believe they are all perfect and that all their products are flawless" as you say. Again, I think you are misinterpreting the spirit of their message.

The ultimate point, I believe, is you make games for your fans and you don't let "unfair" or "unwarranted" criticism throw a wrench in the works and detract from the process. Of course you still have testers and listen to their feedback and use it to make improvements to your game and try to make the best game possible. But some people can not be pleased no matter what you do and those people can just sit and spin.

flerpyderp

I don't think that was the implication here and you make some wild leaps in your attack on their comment.

I read snowstorm's post as a reference to "haters", people who pass judgement as carelessly as they pass gas, with little to no value, knowledge or care. You can find these people everywhere, just go to a you-tube video that accepts comments and you find them peppered throughout.
snowstorm's post literally said:

Critics are usually toxic. They try to find bugs in your game, features of Mary Sue in your characters.
This is an unambiguous claim that critics are "usually" just trying to be mean, and also that finding and giving feedback on genuine flaws like bugs or poor writing is "toxic". Misty hardly made any wild leaps in his response.

K

kagiol94

I think it's not specific to gaming, it's a problem with every anonymized community.