Graphics Do you know a tool for drawing tiles?

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by MarisFrance, Aug 11, 2018.

1. MarisFrance

MarisFrance Member

I mean 47-tile based tileset.
    It should be comfortable to draw and test tiles (to see if they fit to each other).

2. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

PyxelEdit is great for creating tilesets and has many features designed around doing just that.

A lot of people also recommend Aseprite but I'm not a fan of the pixel art UI.

Niels and MarisFrance like this.
  3. muki

muki Member

I second PyxelEdit. It's exactly what you're after.

Start with some videos and some simple tileset to see how its workflow works and how you can tile a "fake" level to see it update as you update the tiles. Before moving onto the 47-tile set.

MarisFrance likes this.
  4. Rayek

Rayek Member

ProMotion NG has a tilemap mode with extensive features. Arguably the "Photoshop" of pixel art editors.
    In tile mode draw your graphics (no matter what size) and tile sets are automatically generated. It even optimizes your tilesets for mirrored tiles if need be. Very comfortable editing for any type of pixel art.

Tile map drawing and testing is seamless in ProMotion: draw tiles, see them updated in the tile library.

Tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfkyf95y-FOpPzcvhgmooJQ/videos

MarisFrance likes this.
  5. MarisFrance

MarisFrance Member

Thank you!

I'm trying to buy PyxelEdit but there is no such option on the site. How do you got it?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  6. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

The link you gave has the payment option on it.

Enter your email address and click the "Pay with card" or "Checkout with PayPal" button.

If you can't see them make sure you don't have any browser extensions that could possibly be blocking content on the page.

MarisFrance likes this.
  7. Niels

Niels Member

Pyxeledit is excellent for pixelart tiles, Aseprite is more suited for characters/assets and animations

MarisFrance likes this.
  8. Lithalean

Lithalean Member

1.) I make templates based on a 128 x 128 scale in Photoshop (128 x 256) (256 x 256) (256 x 512) etc..
    2.) I import said template into Affinity Photo (iPad Pro w/ Apple Pencil).
    3.) I finalize in Photoshop (iMac), and then turn the drawing into a titleset.