Opinion Do you have a Raspberry pi?

O

Opticrow

Does anyone here have a raspberry pi, and if so, what they've accomplished with it? I'm considering getting one, python seems easy enough!

Mercerenies

I have one at my apartment. I use it to SSH into and write code from my tablet. Unfortunately, it's offline right now and I'm not at my apartment, so my Pi is a paperweight for the next month or so.

KurtBlissZ

On my Pi I use to use it for emulators, kodi, and web browsing on the desktop using emulation station as a front end to launch everything. Now it just sits around. I hook it up every once for games still if I want to do it in the living room. If getting that all set up counts as an accomplishment.

O

Opticrow

What is the benefit of using a pi for this, and not just using your normal computer?

KurtBlissZ

Less power and It's portable. I have took it school a couple times on free days where I just played some Contra with some friends and it nice to take it to the living room to watch a movie or tv show off Kodi.

A

Acr515

I have one, but I haven't gotten around to using it much yet. I put Raspian on it, and that's all I've done.

O

Opticrow

Yeah, but somewhere along the way the SD card I had broke and I needed another solution on the fly. I'll find a use for it someday.
I've never had an SD card fail me before :eek:

I have one, but I haven't gotten around to using it much yet. I put Raspian on it, and that's all I've done.
When you bought it, what were your intentions?

I also have one. I set up php, mysql and apache to host online high scores for a couple games
That's pretty cool! I hope it's not making your network vulnerable somehow :D

C

CoderJoe

Yes I have one. I've done quite a bit with it, making robots, playing Minecraft using a EEG headset (brain reading headset), etc... Its great to use for a media center, robotics projects, and wifi enabled devices. You also don't have to use Python, however it is the most supported.

K

Kuro

I don't have a Raspberry Pi but I'm seriously considering getting one. They look incredibly fun. Almost limitless in their applications.

G

Galladhan

If i had a Rasperry Pi i would use it with a Keyrah to revive a Commodore 64 with a dead motherboard (not mine, it's still alive and kickin).
:)

S

SLGamesCregg

I have several projects I've worked on with these guys.

• I used an rpi3b for a media center with retropie
  • I used another one for a programming tool
  • I am building a MAME cabinet with a friend
  • I built a cloud storage server on a pi zero
  • And I'm in the process of building a retropi media center on a zero for my parents.

K

Kuro

I don't have a Raspberry Pi but I'm seriously considering getting one. They look incredibly fun. Almost limitless in their applications.
Between the third of may when I wrote the above and now, my state has changed that of not having one to having one. I've not used it yet, but I will say this, the little paper bag it comes in is adorable.

I'm going to use it to make a portable computer. I used to use laptops all the time but since switching to desktop I've not really had anything to take with me when I visit my parents except my kindle. Would be nice to have something more computery than the kindle while still being portable.

I got my raspberry pi 3 and soon to have the raspberry pi 4 once it gets delivered. I can't really power it without a USB-C cable which hopefully soon i'll get. But ya I use my pi 3 to play minecraft and code it for php websites. I even started using it for a quick fm transmitter test which is possible on the pi but you might wanna look up your countries laws about transmitting fm radio.

woodsmoke

Yes a Pi3 for Retropie. Not using it though. Think I'll be giving it away soon. Don't know why I bought it because I could have just used my laptop. I mainly wanted to have GTA1 and 2 but I found out that I don't like the Playstation versions as much as the original PC version.

D

Deleted member 45063

pihole, retropie,web server, generic development machine, play around with linux configs, minecraft server, ... Ohh, and yes, I have a RPi 3 and I control a RPi 4 from my brother