• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

iOS Do we still need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yakmoon

to the retard engineers of yoyogames company who doesn't gave the guts to hear critics.
oh dear,
Do we still need to own a device running Mac operating system and an ios device in GMS2 to export ios?
why we can export ios in unity and buildbox (actually in every game developing engine on the planet besides GMS) without the need to having any of that? spare the fact that you need to sync the devices and omg! why did I even bother using GMS the first place, whenever I open GMS I feel that I am not in 2016 but rather in 1995. I have to pay a ton of money to buy the plugin and own a mac and ios device all just to export ios.
to the masterminds who are going to reply on this post.
hehehe. the laughable explanation where you say apple has strict laws.

Maybe you should build your own engine, because the guys at Yoyo are so retarded, and you're so smart. o:

Alternatively, just use Unity? You didn't mention their engineers being retards, so I assume it's better than GM in every way? =)

I lol'd hard at this post, though, so thank you. Not sure the Yoyo guys will find this as funny as I did, though. X'D

J

joakimFF

Even if other engines allow you to export without a mac, don't you still need to sign the .IPA in Xcode before uploading to Appstore.

Nux

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
You don't have an apple phone and/or the ability to create a virtual machine using the mac OS?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
to the retard engineers of yoyogames company who doesn't gave the guts to hear critics.
Yep, that's certainly going to make them listen to what you have to say. ;)

MOD EDIT: As a favour to @FrostyCat I'm going to add in this comment from them as it is very much on topic and relevant:

FrostyCat said:
Before you start calling YoYo "idiot engineers" on the iOS export and exalting Unity and BuildBox's equivalent, you should go and read what the iOS exports on Unity and Buildbox are about.

According to Unity's documentation on its iOS export (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/iphone-GettingStarted.html), all it does is generating an XCode project, not a final product:
When you build the Unity iOS game an XCode project is generated. This project is required to sign, compile and prepare your game for distribution. See the Unity XCode project manual page for further information.
Same deal with Buildbox (https://www.buildbox.com/guides/publish-apple-build/):
This is quite straight forward as long as you have included all details correctly in the game while using Buildbox – ie before export. You need to grab the certificate to use the distribution provisioning profile you have created, compile the game, and then submit to Apple – which can all be done from within Xcode itself.
Export from Buildbox.
Open Xcode.
Open the project in Xcode.
GMS 1 and 2 do the exact same thing. In every case you still need a Mac running XCode to compile the resulting project. It's iOS policy, live with it. GMS 1 and 2 just have the extra option of remotely calling that compile command automatically.

As someone who frequently calls YoYo out on GM-related matters, let me share one tip with you about how to get their attention: Cold, hard fact beats boiling blood.

Last edited:
Reactions: xot
Status
Not open for further replies.