• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Do I pay for gamemaker 2 once or will I need to keep paying a fee to use it?

chamaeleon

Once. Until some major upgrade comes along they feel like they have to charge for. But that does not affect your existing version at that point.

Edit : clearly I forgot about the 12 month license mentioned by others

Last edited:

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
It's all in the information you saw when you paid for it. There are different versions. The "creator's" license(and the console ones) expire after a year. The other licenses are permanent. I don't know what you bought so I don't know if you have to pay again.

There is no promise or guarantee things won't change in the future. They may begin to offer GMS2 as a subscription model(without taking away the licenses of us who own permanent ones). They may also switch to subscription for GMS3. Who knows? They could also make GMS3 or GMS2 be free to use and charge royalties.

All that said, it is actually against forum rules to discuss speculation like this. So of course I made it very clear that we really don't have any idea what is going on or what they may do.

If you tell us how much you paid or which license you bought, we may be better able to tell you for sure if you will ever have to pay again for GMS2.

I would like to access the trial then, how can I do that?
Edit: Will I buy it, get the trial, and then if I don't use it that much, will I be able to cancel the order and get the money back if the trial isn't over when I do so?

So on the screenshot shown just above, you can see three options for the normal desktop version.

1) Free Trial: You can download the trial and try GMS out for 30 days.

2) Creator License: You can purchase the Creator license for $39USD, this will give you access to the full version of desktop GMS for 12 months, after which you will have to renew or cancel or whatever. If you decide to upgrade to the Developer license after having purchased the Creator license, I believe the cost of the Creator License is subtracted from the Developer license, meaning you end up paying as much as you would have if you had of just purchased the Desktop license. I don't think you can "cancel" this license and get your money back after you've used it for a month or something, that's what the Free Trial is for.

3) Developer License: One time payment of $99 USD gives you full permanent access to GMS2 for its lifetime.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
I would like to access the trial then, how can I do that?
Edit: Will I buy it, get the trial, and then if I don't use it that much, will I be able to cancel the order and get the money back if the trial isn't over when I do so?
The trial period is the 30 days during which you can use the limited Trial version of GMS 2 before you buy. If you buy any license and still have trial time left, the trial period and license expire and your license becomes whatever you bought. After purchasing, you can't get the money back.

If you're unsure whether you'll like GM or if you'll use it a lot, use the trial period. It starts automatically and runs for 30 days.

Where do I download the trial? I tried to like navigate to it where I can sign up for it, but I've pretty much given up now, I have so much trouble finding it.

Now I don't understand. At the latest I log in? That makes no sense, I created an account to understand how all this works. I hope it doesn't activate as soon as I create an account on the website, right?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
The activation mail states this at the very beginning (emphasis mine):

Activate your account
You're one small step away from creating your account and starting your 30 day free trial. Click on this link (or copy and paste it into your address bar):
I'm not involved in the development of the trial license issuing, so I don't know exactly at which point it starts. It'll be assigned at the latest once you log into the IDE for the first time (since that's when it'll definitely be needed), but it might also be as soon as you activate the account if the mail is to be taken at face value. I'm unable to provide an official statement on this as I'm not involved or responsible.

Based on your wording of that post, am I correctly inferring that if it started at that point, that would be a problem for you? If you tell us about your situation with the account (e.g. when was it made), we may be able to suggest steps you can take now to access the trial if you're unable to do so.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
By "account", do you mean a YoYo Account or the GMC account you used to post that? A GMC account isn't tied to your license, just in case.

If you meant a YoYo Account, when did you create that account?

By "account", do you mean a YoYo Account or the GMC account you used to post that? A GMC account isn't tied to your license, just in case.

If you meant a YoYo Account, when did you create that account?
Sunday last week.
I think my YoYo account is activated. And if that activates my trial already it's pretty unfair cause I'm new and I couldn't have known.
So I would like to talk to a developer or someone who is responsible to find out how this works.
Edit: Yeah I figured out later that the Yoyo account and the GMC account are not connected.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Then you should now have 21 days left on your trial. If the activation mail is taken literally, it explicitly mentions that the trial is started after you activate the account, so I wouldn't say that you couldn't have known.

If you'd like to reach out to customer support to clarify this, you can do so using the contact form.