• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Do I need to get GMS2 Desktop License to TEST on desktop (if I have GMS2 Mobile already)?

I

IcecreamPie

Hi everyone, I'm planning to buy GMS2 Mobile to make android games
However, I often like to TEST some things on my PC first without having to get my phone out (usually really basic things, eg. menus, buttons, etc)
Ie. In GMS1.4 I set the target module to "Windows" and press the green arrow button to do a test-run
I don't intend to COMPILE a Windows-runnable file

Will I still be able to do these kind of test-runs if I just buy GMS2 Mobile? Or do I need to buy GMS2 Desktop as well?

Thanks a lot in advance! :D

G

Not exactly. You can run on the desktop in the VM.

See, GMS2 can compile your game to run either of two different ways: through the VM, or through YYC, which compiles your game to C++ and runs faster. Not all code in the VM runs the same as in C++. YoYoGames has worked hard to eliminate any differences, but the fact remains that there are differences and, because the mobile license only allows you to test on the desktop through the VM, you can't know 100% that it will behave identically. This can lead to rare but difficult to troubleshoot bugs, where the game runs as expected in your tests but not on the device. This is particularly a pain given the long time it takes to build to a device.

If you do go this route, you'll want to regularly test the game on a device to make sure none of your code performs one way on the desktop VM but another in YYC.