• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Do I have what it takes to be a Pro at music?

M

Misty

Guys, please don't steal my music w/o permission.

original midis

boss 3 - http://vocaroo.com/i/s1Q0t2zuOE3s
epicquest 8 - http://vocaroo.com/i/s1ZsBeqdRflV

hd version - http://vocaroo.com/i/s0vXVgnbcNAO

Which song is better, the HD or original midi, and why?

My music theory consists of this: People like feminizing music or adrenalizing music.

An example of femininzing music would be Sealed Door from Chrono Trigger.

An example of adrenalizing music would be the select screen from Mario Kart.

An example of masculinizing music would be Rap Music.

My theory is if your music has either feminizing or adrenalizing qualities people will like your music. My theory is that Midi is superior because each instrument is finely tuned to either 440 or 400 hz. And Midi was carefully designed for each instrument to sound good with each other. And Midi doesn't approach uncanny valley. Where as modern trends of mixing and matching random instrument soundfonts and VSTs have subtly different frequencies and start to mess up the frequencies and approach uncanny valley.

Also my other theory is this. Music has to suck you in and you have to accept the music. If you are in an angry mood, you will hate peaceful music because you reject its seduction. And if you are in a peaceful mood, you will hate angry music because you reject its seduction. My theory is that the purpose of music intros is to put you into a trance and seduce you into loving the music.

Also, my second question is this.

Here is a GM game with amazing music. Is this original music or did it come from some classic game? The game is terrible which is why I am flabbergasted if this guy had custom music for this game. This music sounds like classic game music, but I don't know where its from.

http://www.filedropper.com/ik-a-r-t3di

Niels

Sounds pretty good.

Some "splashes" feel a bit out of place on epicquest8 but overall I think it will sound fine underneath some indie retro-rpg

A

Ampersand

Love it. But asking if you can become "a pro at music" is a very broad term. You show here you have the talent and the understanding of the theory to compose. Now it's just up to you to explore sounds so that you have a repertoire built up, then when you want a certain feeling or mood or reaction you'll know how to achieve it :)

Keep it up, there's not enough good game music around these parts.

Ninety

My theory is if your music has either feminizing or adrenalizing qualities people will like your music. My theory is that Midi is superior because each instrument is finely tuned to either 440 or 400 hz. And Midi was carefully designed for each instrument to sound good with each other. And Midi doesn't approach uncanny valley. Where as modern trends of mixing and matching random instrument soundfonts and VSTs have subtly different frequencies and start to mess up the frequencies and approach uncanny valley.
That's down to your skill as a composer/producer. MIDI isn't inherently better, a skilled artist could play a beautiful song on a trashcan.

The tracks I listened to were definitely a good starting point, not yet professional but with hard work and practice you could definitely get there.

Niels

I have to disagree with my
MIDI sounding the best...
Might be for game music, but usually it takes the "humanity" and "warmth" out of music..
There is a reason guitarists prefer old (imperfect) amps, and even most electronic music prefers (samples of) real instruments over midi instruments

M

Misty

Love it. But asking if you can become "a pro at music" is a very broad term. You show here you have the talent and the understanding of the theory to compose. Now it's just up to you to explore sounds so that you have a repertoire built up, then when you want a certain feeling or mood or reaction you'll know how to achieve it :)

Keep it up, there's not enough good game music around these parts.
Thankyou. My goal is to save society.

Stealing it with your permission is ok though? :/
Long as I get at least a 1% cut.

That's down to your skill as a composer/producer. MIDI isn't inherently better, a skilled artist could play a beautiful song on a trashcan.
Dunno about that. Not a big fan of modern drums only "avant-garde" music.

The tracks I listened to were definitely a good starting point, not yet professional but with hard work and practice you could definitely get there.
I will try my best. Hopefully I will get a new computer soon because my current computer makes an annoying whine that interferes with my peace and calm while making music. Hopefully I will get a MIDI keyboard so I dont have to do notes by hand anymore also. The notes in FL Studio are sideways, which is annoying. I want to look at a keyboard horizontally.

I have to disagree with my
MIDI sounding the best...
Might be for game music, but usually it takes the "humanity" and "warmth" out of music..
There is a reason guitarists prefer old (imperfect) amps, and even most electronic music prefers (samples of) real instruments over midi instruments
Midi is the middle grounds. Alternatives can sound better or sound worse. Midi usually sounds better than the free vsts and soundfonts that my computer can handle. All the high quality ones make it lag.