Do you own a server? What do you do with it?

RollyBug

Simply, do you own a server? How did it come in to your possession? What do you do with it? Stuff like that.

Jbax

Last edited:
F

Frolacosta

I have a VPS with Dreamhost which has about 1Gb RAM and 30Gb storage, which costs me £12/month (about $16/month).
I did use it to host a few different websites, but I no longer use those websites so its only use now is to drain my bank account.

I was also considering building my own server when I needed it, but found that buying a VPS service had far lower startup costs and my home bandwidth was unlikely to be sufficient at the time.

A

Agreeable

3 x Raspberry Pi's. Costs ~$12 per year in power to run.

Currently running web and Samba servers.

Planning on writing a game server soon.

D

Deleted member 13992

Dreamhost here too, and 3 domains for my various hobbies.

Some paid servers have policies against using their hardware for merely storage though, just a heads up.

RollyBug

So Dreamhost is popular. Whats the draw, ease of use? SSD storage and features? It seems relatively expensive compared to, say, a Raspberry Pi 3.

Mercerenies

I have a domain which points to my Raspberry Pi (which is currently offline since I just moved out of my apartment and haven't set it back up yet). The Pi has served me well for running a basic web server, as well as Discord bots. I haven't tried running a full game server on it.

F

Famine

Like many, I have an AWS server running Ubuntu. I host a Multi-User Dungeon (MUD) on it mainly. I pay around $40 USD a month for the server. This is essentially my playground and where I do the bulk of my C/C++ programming for my text-based online game.

I used to run my blog from there, but now just pay for Wordpress shared hosting through GoDaddy. Was easier for me to not have to worry about yet another service. I'm happy with that decision.

I also have a Dell PowerEdge 2900 with dual Xeon and like 8x 3.5 drives that was handed down to me. Sounds like a spaceship. Never really turn it on anymore. Everything I need is in the cloud.

F

Frolacosta

So Dreamhost is popular. Whats the draw, ease of use? SSD storage and features? It seems relatively expensive compared to, say, a Raspberry Pi 3.
I went for features vs cost, I wanted something that wasn't too expensive but had all the features I liked. Dreamhost and Bluehost were essentially the same so I made my choice based on reviews

Amon

I have a VPS Cloud with 1and1.co.uk. I've had it for a year. I pay £15 a month for it. I host test stuff on it as well as any other experimental coding I do, multiplayer wise. It has 2 vCores, 4gb ram, 120gb ssd and a 1gbit pipe with 500mbit speeds.

R

ramses

I got the cheapest VPS from OVH, using it for all kinds of purposes, storing stuff that I might need, doing experiments, etc.. I don't know how I could live without having a 24/7 machine that I can connect to and do stuff with before.

Raspberry Pi 1 - I should really upgrade, but it has served me well
Other than that, I have an oldish Desktop that work was gonna throw away that I picked up for free - 8gb of ram, i7 3rd gen, and everything else.
I mainly use my pi for a security webcam and to host a personal website
I use the Desktop to train models with Tensorflow and Haar cascades and do other things that take days to complete

F

Falconsoft-Industries

I am using a all in one computer and one day I will use the cloud server service if and when I can afford it and understand it and relaying information back and forth for online gaming in games I create. XD :)

G

Gamesquare

I host a few servers on Microsoft Azure. Nothing other then personal use though for now.