Do any GMC Devs like Football(Soccer)?

Hi all

Obviously the GMC is not a place where talk of football is expected to come up, but I wonder, do many or even any GM Devs like football? Am I an oddity in liking the sport and being someone who loves to spend my time trying to make games? Or are there a bunch of other devs who also like the sport too?

The reason the question comes to mind is that I've started working on my 4th and boldest-so-far game, which is a cross between football manager and a text adventure game. I plan to try and get some interest in the development process as 1) getting feedback to shape the game would be amazing, 2) it's a tough game to test on your own, 3) 'indie-marketing'. That got me to thinking about posting in the WIP section of GMC and then the question obviously arose. Is it even worth posting about it here, do any GM Devs care remotely about a football sim game? I can't remember seeing any other GMC projects related to football in my albeit short time here.

For the record, I'm not trying to start a football loving community within the GMC, there are plenty of other forums for that on the web. I am just interested in whether there is much cross-over in coding/football loving?

So shall this post be lost in tumbleweed or will I be shocked by an influx of similar minds to mine?..

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Personally I hate football (although I have played and enjoyed the football manager games, but that's because it's about managing and not really about football... :p ). I've never understood how people can sit for 90 minutes and watch a ball being kicked around. Playing is fun, watching is... boring? I have no vested interest in which team wins and find it all faintly absurd. And don't get me started on how sickening I find the wages of professional footballers compared to people that actually do good (doctors, police, scientists, etc...)...

K

Koohyar

Hi there

I used to watch soccer when I was younger, but it's several years that it has no attraction for me (the same view as Nocturne). But I'm pretty sure there are people here who watch soccer. I mean it's a big sport, how on Earth may it be possible that nobody here watches the sport or plays FIFA/PES? My nephew keeps playing FIFA on his Xbox. So I think it's a good idea to make the game you want, and if there isn't any similar projects, good for you because you are the first one to do that! :)

Personally I hate football (although I have played and enjoyed the football manager games, but that's because it's about managing and not really about football... :p ). I've never understood how people can sit for 90 minutes and watch a ball being kicked around. Playing is fun, watching is... boring? I have no vested interest in which team wins and find it all faintly absurd. And don't get me started on how sickening I find the wages of professional footballers compared to people that actually do good (doctors, police, scientists, etc...)...
Can't disagree about the wages. But a good game of football - that you have a vested interest in - is amazing. I guess the vested interest is developed through it either being the national team playing or the team I support. Why I support a team is a psychological hole I don't want to dig too deep into, as it'll spoil my fun ;)

From a gaming perspective, it's definitely the sim management element that excites me. The 'build your own club from nothing to the greatest club in the world' aspect. Which is the same gameplay hook as sim city / theme park etc.

... So I think it's a good idea to make the game you want, and if there isn't any similar projects, good for you because you are the first one to do that! :)
Thanks :) Don't worry, I will definitely keep making it - I'm sure there's an audience somewhere even if it's not on the GMC! And even if there's not, it hasn't stopped me making my games so far ;)

Carnivius

I don't like watching football but I enjoy playing it as it's a good outdoors game to play with friends. Not keen on football video games other than things like Sensible Soccer back oni the ol' Amiga which was pretty fun.

I don't like watching football but I enjoy playing it as it's a good outdoors game to play with friends. Not keen on football video games other than things like Sensible Soccer back oni the ol' Amiga which was pretty fun.
Well you're the closest so far! :)

And sensible soccer in its day was awesome. I lost days to that game. So so hard though.

M

Misty

The only sport I can tolerate for more than 15 minutes is American Football. Teams are squared up, and theres a strategy to it.

Soccer (Europe football) is just a variation of hockey, it's just guys going around chasing a ball. It is more boring than hockey because there's hardly any violence in it.

Honestly, people make fun of cats for playing with yarn...but I don't see what the difference is between that and a human watching other humans chase around a ball endlessly for 2 hours.

My ideal sport that I would invent would be Rubber Bullet Arena. The arena is brutal, real guns and rubber bullets. And you know it's the real deal and not fake like wrestling. And you see guys just brutally soaking up bullets like the juggernaut, and the announcer is like "The Juggernaut" and it's like...total combat arena, and the characters have personality too.

Coded Games

The only sports I really like watching is more individual x-games like stuff (Ski/snowboard races/freestyle, Olympic track and field, golf, and other races that are not NASCAR). I find American Football entertaining but the actual playtime is so low compared to standing around or ads I don't find it an effective use of time. I really don't know any soccer teams so I don't find it particularly interesting (although I find professional Rocket League very entertaining).

A

ajan-ko

Basketball - Spurs Fans, I love how the mental game, and the body mechanics
The only thing I hate about NBA now, they implemented zone and hand check.
Drive/iso-dependant player harder to score in today game due to zone defense, and 3pt scorer have more easier time because of handcheck.

For Soccer, I don't really like it, it's just boring to watch 90 minutes game with 0-0 score.

0.Bytes

Football/Soccer and basketball fan here.

I also like baseball and football/NFL, but I am not an expert on theses sports.

@Michael Bateman your game is a complex manager like Football Manager, or it is a more simple and easy manager like the old, but awesome Elifoot 98 ? besides the adventure thing that you are doing, of course

I have played these kind of games for a long time, I dont know where are I you from, but there are a lots of people on Europe and South America that would enjoy play a game like this, If I can help you in some way, send me a message

Football/Soccer and basketball fan here.

I also like baseball and football/NFL, but I am not an expert on theses sports.

@Michael Bateman your game is a complex manager like Football Manager, or it is a more simple and easy manager like the old, but awesome Elifoot 98 ? besides the adventure thing that you are doing, of course

I have played these kind of games for a long time, I dont know where are I you from, but there are a lots of people on Europe and South America that would enjoy play a game like this, If I can help you in some way, send me a message
Thanks! It's still early days but if you're interested you can see a steady stream of screenshots on my Twitter @IndieDevBateman. I will definitely be looking for people to get involved, I'm just trying to create a shell of a game at the moment. As it's a browser based game I really want to let people play with it at every stage of development and help shape it / bug test it!!

I'm in the UK, so I know there's an audience - just don't think it's on the GMC :)

The game is definitely more like Elifoot 98 than modern Football Manager. It will be quite fast paced; you can complete a season in around an hour I think!

B

Blazing

I loved playing soccer as a kid. Unfortunately, my family never had enough money to put me in a team and all the free clubs were poorly managed and wouldn't return phone calls/emails. I was a pretty decent defender in my PE classes though.

Since goofing around in a desert or muddy field in a 4-wheel-drive followed by shooting at large pieces of garbage probably doesn't count as a sport; Soccer, baseball, and field hockey are my favorite sports to play.

Most enjoyable by far to watch for me is motocross and monster jam.

Now I'm out of shape and have a bad knee, so no more soccer games for Blazing unless it's just goofing around with equally out of shape friends.

I used to play it everyday when I was a kid, but once I got into basketball, I never looked back. However, since I got a Vita recently, I decided to pick up FIFA 14 for it and now I'm hooked on the sport again. I don't care for the league-side of either sport, just the games themselves.

woodsmoke

I don't like watching soccer, but love playing it (for fun, no club).
But I like playing basketball more as well.

Soccer/Football is my number one sport, been playing and watching since I was 6 years old (15 years of Football and I'm still good and into it :) ). I enjoy FIFA, but I seem to enjoy Rocket League a little more than FIFA, purely for the customizations, flying and playing soccer with cars! :) Also love the oldish football manager games. I had a few of them on console and on my mobile device.