• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Discussion DnD vs GML

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Welcome to my ultimate thread about Drag and Drop and Game Maker Language.
Basically I'd like to have people talk about there thoughts on whats better to use and why.

In my personal opinion I think GML is easier to understand when you get the gest of it, though DnD has the benefit of being more visual and organized, GML offers that extra bit of customization to your code snip its.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
M

Misu

Yeah... First off this is the Offtopic subforum. Only topics NON-RELATED to game maker are posted here. Anything related would have to go to its other corresponding subforum.

Second, either are not terrible nor better. They both are made for the specific kind of people that have their own unique (personal) way of building games. Both DnD is made for thise who have absolute no knowledge on programming whatsoever. It permits even younger kids to jump into game making at early stage of understand the concept of game designing. Not all of us are the "pick a nose for a living" kind of nerd. We also got people in this community with great imagination and creativity that want to also give it shot.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Yeah... First off this is the Offtopic subforum. Only topics NON-RELATED to game maker are posted here. Anything related would have to go to its other corresponding subforum.
I can never get those forums right. :/ And yes that is true about DnD but from a perspective of wanting to make games its so much easier and fast to just learn code.

M

Misu

I can never get those forums right. :/ And yes that is true about DnD but from a perspective of wanting to make games its so much easier and fast to just learn code.
again, I'm gonna point out this...

They both are made for the specific kind of people that have their own unique (personal) way of building games.
Its all preferences. Everyone has their own preferences.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob

I was using DnD without even realising it in GM 1.4. I used to use the collision / keycheck events a lot among others.

I didn't like switching from that to coding collision myself (because I never like change, usually) but I'm glad I did and I'd always recommend trying to code things yourself over using DnD.

I'd struggle to make a game using pure DnD because I don't have a lot of experience with it but I'd assume people that use it a lot are quite happy with it.

C

CE Studios

I tended to fallback on DnD systems when I pretty much had no idea how to do it in code and was too lazy to look it up. However, the actual occurances are few and far between.

I recommend DnD, in general. DnD is designed to be user friendly. There have definitely been a few times where using DnD just worked, when I was having trouble getting a function to behave, for whatever reason. It also seems to store some asset variables by reference, whereas in code they would often be stored by text, making renaming sprites and such less troublesome. If I'm rushing, or have to do some heavy lifting (logic and loop stuff mostly) I'll just drop in a code block. Most importantly, you can go from DnD to code absolutely whenever, but not the other way around.

klys

if you are new to code DnD is a good kick start and a way to later switch to only code, since code is the real power and now even better with the new improvements which now make gml like C# or JavaScript, very powerful.