• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Asset - Extension DLCEXT - Jack Of All Trades [v1.3.13] (Proximity Voice Chat, Port Forwarding, Text to Speech, and more) - Final Sunset Build

ThraxxMedia

Hello there. :)

Pardon the ambiguous title, for lack of a better way to aptly describe the extension I just went with this one.

What you're looking at is a Windows extension (.dll) for your GameMaker 2.x projects (not tested, but should work with 2.3 just as well). Whenever I started serious work in the game dev department, I quickly noticed that there were some areas GMS2 doesn't really provide much functionality for (if any) out of the box; so I took it upon myself to face these obstacles and create a one-stop-shop solution that I'd be able to rely upon in future projects as well. Everything I wasn't able to achieve natively, I wanted the extension to do. So it's basically a compilation of things that you may or may not want/need in your game at some point, especially if you're developing for online multiplayer.

/edit: the asset is now updated and working splendidly with the latest GameMaker 2022.x version.

Link: https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/9433/dlcext-jack-of-all-trades

From the marketplace description:

FEATURES (50 functions in total)

• Retrieve both local and public IPv4 addresses of your internet gateway device (i.e. router)
  • Mask your IPv4 address(es) as invitation code(s) for peer-to-peer multiplayer sessions
  • Set and remove port forwardings via Universal Plug & Play (UPnP) or NAT-PMP
  • Interruptible text-to-speech with the ability to set voice, volume and speed parameters
  • Read, write and delete values and keys from the Windows registry
  • Easy to use message logging with customizable prefix and output file name
  • Lock the mouse cursor to your active game window (or any screen region)
  • Store files within secure, compressed and encrypted archives
  • Extensive voice chat functionality powered by OPUS

While this is a paid extension indeed, I very much encourage you to try before you buy - there's a link to a free demo app available from the marketplace page, as well as a quick reference guide for all functions that are included.

Cheers,
~Thraxx

Last edited:

ThraxxMedia

I've just updated the marketplace asset to version 1.1.3 :)

• Added a function to allow left/right audio channel panning (balance) for voice chat
  • Fixed a critical bug that would cause a crash if more than 2 clients were speaking
  • Fixed yet another bug that was preventing log files from being created properly
  • Increased the lease time of NAT-PMP port mappings to 96 hours (up from 24)
  • Overhauled the entire audio subsystem to use XAudio2 instead of WinMM
  • Dropped Windows 7 support as a result of the above mentioned overhaul
  • Lots of minor fixes, code optimizations and stability improvements

ThraxxMedia

I've just updated the marketplace asset to version 1.2.0 :) it's now supporting the latest GameMaker 2022.x build in addition to the previous (legacy) version.

• Prepared the extension for future updates with the addition of registering asynchronous callbacks
  • Added a new set of functions handling secure, compressed and encrypted archives for file storage
  • Added a new set of functions to allow voice activation and measuring of the microphone input peak
  • Added a new voice chat function for an optional reverb effect being applied to a connected client
  • Fixed a bug that would prevent access to files in subdirectories (I think I've got them all now)
  • Fixed a semi-critical bug that would prevent OPUS packets from being decoded properly
  • Lots of minor fixes, code optimizations and stability improvements as usual

ThraxxMedia

With a heavy heart I have to announce that all further development and customer support for this extension has ceased on the YoYo marketplace.

Due to certain technical difficulties I just wasn't able to solve (and marketplace staff wasn't able to help solve either, over the course of more than four months to this day) I finally decided that maintaining the asset on this platform is no longer viable, hence it's been "sunset" and put off-sale indefinitely. All previous customers will still have full access; I've also uploaded a most recent version (1.3.13) that'll serve as the final build and is, as far as I can tell, very much stable and fulfilling all of its intended purposes.

There's still a "version 1.1.1" for GameMaker Studio pre-2.3 left over that I can neither unpublish nor delete, and it's incredibly outdated so please don't use that unless you don't mind very feature-specific bugs. It also somehow reads as being last updated on 2022-09-11 which is only due to a marketplace bug happening whilst updating the other asset packages, so that particular version of the asset is actually over a year older at this point and should be disregarded.

Thanks for your understanding. DLCEXT development will continue... but just not in this capacity.

Last edited: