• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

DLC?

I

IE Entertainment

I am considering putting together a comic book project down the road. My thought is that users would use the initial app to purchase further issues of the comic without having to download a separate app each time. Kinda like how additional episodes are handled in the TellTale games. Is that possible within GM? Just gathering up as much info as I can before I go full steam ahead. Thanks guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

zircher

I don't recall GMS having that capability at the binary/executable, but there are two possible avenues to explore. One, use an external DLL to add that functionality (look in the marketplace or perhaps having to write your own.) Two, make a player that can read in the script and dynamically load the resources that you would need. I don't think you can change the code on the fly, but you should be able to make something that can read in all the bits and 'play' them.

I

IE Entertainment

I don't recall GMS having that capability at the binary/executable, but there are two possible avenues to explore. One, use an external DLL to add that functionality (look in the marketplace or perhaps having to write your own.) Two, make a player that can read in the script and dynamically load the resources that you would need. I don't think you can change the code on the fly, but you should be able to make something that can read in all the bits and 'play' them.
Ok, great! Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate your reply.

I

IE Entertainment

couldnt I make it work within GM in-app purchasing system?

H

Homunculus

There are many ways to go at this, that depend on the actual data you will provide with every new issue.

I'm not so sure I get the comic book part, do you want to deliver an actual digital version of a comic book, or is it a video game structured like a comic book, where the story comes in chapters?

In the first case, it's simply a matter of downloading image resources. In the latter it's a bit more complex, you probably want something like a game launcher that manages all the purchases and downloads, allowing you to replace the actual game executable if needed.

Otherwise the other suggestions are on point, you can always add something like some event scripts in a format of your own and some assets, and have the main executable read and play them

I

IE Entertainment

There are many ways to go at this, that depend on the actual data you will provide with every new issue.

I'm not so sure I get the comic book part, do you want to deliver an actual digital version of a comic book, or is it a video game structured like a comic book, where the story comes in chapters?

In the first case, it's simply a matter of downloading image resources. In the latter it's a bit more complex, but you should probably start by searching resources about autoupdaters, si ce the concepts are similar.
Yeah it would be a digital version of a comic book and each issue afterward would be purchased within the app. At least thats my thought.

H

Homunculus

In this case I don't see any problem. GM has the ability to import image resources on the fly, download files, and unzip zipped folders, which may all be handy for delivering chapters.

The main issue is probably related to purchases and how to make them secure, you should probably rely on something like an e-commerce solution and use http calls from GM to interact with it for things like listing available chapters, restore purchases etc.

I

IE Entertainment

In this case I don't see any problem. GM has the ability to import image resources on the fly, download files, and unzip zipped folders, which may all be handy for delivering chapters.

The main issue is probably related to purchases and how to make the secure, you should probably rely on something like an e-commerce solution and use http calls from GM to interact with it for things like listing available chapters, restore purchases etc.
Ok, great. I will look into all of these things. Thank you for replying.