• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Distribution distribution question

F

fxokz

Is it better to publish your game onto 1 site rather than a whole bunch? What would be the difference between putting my game onto gamejolt AND itch.io vs only gamejolt or only itch.io. Is it better to just spam every site or make it exclusive to a single site? thoughts?

M

McWolke

i didn't release a game yet, but i would only take 2-3 places to publish it, because you always gotta remember to update them as soon as you have a newer version. and going through 100 websites just to upload the same file over and over again wouldn't be fun.

F

fxokz

i didn't release a game yet, but i would only take 2-3 places to publish it, because you always gotta remember to update them as soon as you have a newer version. and going through 100 websites just to upload the same file over and over again wouldn't be fun.
So there wouldnt be any benefits to only use 1 site?

G

gamedev4life

I was planning on putting my games demo on gamejolt, itch, indiedb and probably a few others to maximize exposure. It is more work as mentioned above but I do hope to make money

SnoutUp

There's no benefit of limiting yourself to a single website, unless you really are too lazy to use more than file upload form after making an update. Highly unlikely, that it would affect your chances of getting featured or anything like that. There's also no real benefit to have unfinished game everywhere. Gamejolt can give you a bit more exposure in the beginning if you manage get to into "Hot games" competing with empty fan game project pages. Itch.io has a more flexible game page styling system and also more paying users. In both cases, you gotta promote the pages yourself, because Gamejolt discoverability is crap and in itch.io you gotta get views to be seen organically (their tag system is pretty nice, tho). Never really bothered with indiedb, since that feels like a dev-only site.