Steam Distributing Steam Keys

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by Relic, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Relic

Relic Member

I've now got 500 beta Steam Keys for Nation Breakers: Steam Arena.

Sooo... while 300 are going to the PR company - I've got a couple of hundred left for early sign ups which I can take from our Mailchimp list.

Anyone know a nice way to distribute these without just copy pasting into 200 emails?

2. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

Define "nice". Do you want to get rid of them as soon as possible, do a few big giveaways that hopefully attracts a lot of attention, or have some sort of automated way to distribute them? Is the hard part getting them into the distribution mechanism, or finding which mechanism to distribute them by? All of these have different optimal strategies.

3. Relic

Relic Member

Automating distribution so I don’t have to copy and paste codes individually.

I’ve done further research and have found Mailchimp has some functionality here - but if you have any further advice I’m all ears.

4. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

One idea could be sending them via a bash script: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8260858/how-to-send-email-from-terminal

Make a list of all the codes and another list of mail addresses, iterate through them, construct a string with the full e-mail (e.g. something like mailstring=$(printf "Hello %s!\n\nI made a game, wanna play it? The steam code is %s.\n\nCheers! OwO" $name $steamcode) ), and then send a mail with those contents. The answers to this question claim it's not super difficult to set it up to work with Gmail.

Cpaz likes this.
  5. Relic

Relic Member

Thanks!