• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Dirkels - Platform RPG

Kyon

Dirkels
This is dedicated to Drew Smith, Jeremiah Pena, ExWhyZed, George, Will Lewis, Squirmonkey, Devilfromhost12, TP09, Koron XYZ, Brian, Kearel, Cristiander, Anon, Scrub and all the others that helped me back in the day.
This is a demo I made in 2014.

Description:
Dirkels is a platformer RPG about Diuky, son of Aldezar. Aldezar who was once a great hero has gone completely mad and destroyed cities and innocent people. Next to that, the evil Tadari Clan has risen once again, and it seems like your own brother has joined them.
Train, fight, and explore in the world of Elyador and unravel the great mystery of the Tadari Clan.

Download link:
Mediafire

Controls:
ASDW or Arrow keys to walk/jump
Q opens up the HUD and inventory (or by clicking on it with your mouse)
Fight by using your skills by pressing 1 or 2.
Spacebar to continue in conversations

Trailer:

Screenshots:

Some history on this game
Over 10 years ago I started using gamemaker, I've made a lot of unfinished games but my biggest project always was Dirkels. My first game ever actually was Dirkels, from back in 2007. It's a shame I don't have any content of that game anymore. But that game eventually turned into "Dirkels the Game", which I released on the old gamemaker community forum in 2008. This game was about a ninja that had to save the village from an evil necromancer cult. If anyone is interested in that game, I've uploaded it here. Funny thing, this game was the very start of the Dirkels storyline. Dirkels at the moment is still about an evil necromancer cult called the Tadari Clan.
After "Dirkels the Game" I began making Dirkels Alpha/Dirkels RPG. I got a lot of support from the community on this game and I really loved that. People helped me making armor, making ideas, quests, and developing the story of Dirkels. I released multiple demo's in 2009/2010. But at the beginning of 2010 I started developing a newer version of the game. I kept getting better in GML and knew I could do it better. This newer game was made together with Drew Smith, a graphic artist. And I got an original music album for Dirkels made by composer Jeremiah Pena. A demo for this game was released in 2010 and then I quit gamemaker for a while.

In 2012 I started working on another Dirkels in secret. In 2013/2014 I finished the best RPG platformer engine I've ever made and made this new Dirkels with it. In 2014 I've quit gamemaker and never released this playable demo. I've made it playable and releasing it now. Please let me know what you think ;)

Last edited:

Gamerev147

I played the game for as long as I could before I got confused and/or rage quit...
First off, add some controls in the options. I didn't know how to equipped the sword, I didn't know how to use the sword... It was all so confusing.

The graphics are great! I like the lighting and the friction. However, I don't like the full screen mode. Add an option for windowed or full screen.
The story line is going well from what I was able to play.

The game has a great feel but it needs more. Add controls, a help menu, tips, and add a hint option for when the player gets stuck.
Other than that, great job! I like it :)

Kyon

I played the game for as long as I could before I got confused and/or rage quit...
First off, add some controls in the options. I didn't know how to equipped the sword, I didn't know how to use the sword... It was all so confusing.

The graphics are great! I like the lighting and the friction. However, I don't like the full screen mode. Add an option for windowed or full screen.
The story line is going well from what I was able to play.

The game has a great feel but it needs more. Add controls, a help menu, tips, and add a hint option for when the player gets stuck.
Other than that, great job! I like it :)
Hey man thanks for the feedback, glad you liked it!
F4 exits full screen mode for if you want to play again.
Sorry for not adding a proper menu, never took the time to make one haha. At the start of the game there is a little tutorial where stuff like the inventory and how to use your sword gets explained, did that not show up in your playthrough?

Edit: I've edited my first post with some controls ;)

K

Koron XYZ

Ahem. Greetings Kyon. Long time no talk !! Glad I am a martyr for Dirkels !! PM me, let me know how you are. At any rate, is it possible to create a mac version? I have a mac mini !

dapper

Hey Kyon! Me the III / George signing in. :D I'm honored. :)

"People helped me making armor, making ideas, quests, and developing the story of Dirkels"
Just so you know, I'll never forget the fun I had with you guys competing for sprite credit and coming up with crazy stories and ideas. Working on this game and getting to know you all, you and Zed especially, will always be one of my favorite experiences on the Internet.

I'm happy to see you're still making games! I've been watching kecreations.forumotion.com for the last 6 years, just to try and follow what you're up to (I'm always pleasantly surprised to see that the site is still up).

"It's a shame I don't have any content of that game anymore. "
It's not much, but I have the sprites that I contributed if you're ever feeling nostalgic ;) "Introducing... Dirkels Remastered"

Edit: I actually have the original zip file you distributed, if you're missing that and would like to have the chance to play it again.

Edit 2: Ah, I see you were talking about an even earlier version of Dirkels. Ah well, I can still play it whenever I get nostalgic hahaha

Last edited:

Kyon

Hey Kyon! Me the III / George signing in. :D I'm honored. :)

"People helped me making armor, making ideas, quests, and developing the story of Dirkels"
Just so you know, I'll never forget the fun I had with you guys competing for sprite credit and coming up with crazy stories and ideas. Working on this game and getting to know you all, you and Zed especially, will always be one of my favorite experiences on the Internet.

I'm happy to see you're still making games! I've been watching kecreations.forumotion.com for the last 6 years, just to try and follow what you're up to (I'm always pleasantly surprised to see that the site is still up).

"It's a shame I don't have any content of that game anymore. "
It's not much, but I have the sprites that I contributed if you're ever feeling nostalgic ;) "Introducing... Dirkels Remastered"

Edit: I actually have the original zip file you distributed, if you're missing that and would like to have the chance to play it again.

Edit 2: Ah, I see you were talking about an even earlier version of Dirkels. Ah well, I can still play it whenever I get nostalgic hahaha
Hi George! I'm so glad you noticed this post, hope you're doing well!
I totally agree about that time creating all those stories. Feels special to build something like that over the internet as kids.
Hope you like this Dirkels demo! Also I would love to see those sprites.
I also opened up some "hidden" forums on kecreations. It's not much, but quite fun to read. Threads about Skipper, Zeppix and posts about when I tried to make Dirkels look like humans instead haha.

(also I wonder what dirkels game you have in that zip file haha)
I am also always watching that KECreations site to see if anyone said anything, amazing that it still exists haha.
(do you by any chance have the original file of Skipper? That GM06 game.)