• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Android Differentiating android back from vk backspace

kupo15

I'm probably missing the simple solution here but how do I use the android Viritual keyboard without it triggering the navigation back button?

I have code that navigates the app intended when you hit back on the android nav bar however, both that and the keyboard backspace appear to be mapped as vk_backspace. So when you try to delete a character via hitting backspace on the keyboard, its also triggering a the navigational code when it should not be. I do want the nav bar back button to trigger hiding the keyboard so both should be functional at the same the time but do different things.

kupo15

Greeeatt job yoyo haha Thanks for reporting that bug, and its been over two years without a fix? How is basic functionality like this not a higher priority? I hope that gets fixed soon as well as making fullscreen mode easier to toggle on off. I really want to have the notifications status visible at the top but don't know how to do that

Is there a workaround in the meantime? The only thing I can think of is using keyboard_lastchar or maybe writing a script that compares the text string before and after hitting backspace. If its unchanged then activate your android back code. Luckily, the android back button doesn't actually remove the last character in keyboard_string so I think this is a suitable workaround for now. I won't be able to test it until Sunday

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Greeeatt job yoyo haha Thanks for reporting that bug, and its been over two years without a fix? How is basic functionality like this not a higher priority? I hope that gets fixed soon as well as making fullscreen mode easier to toggle on off. I really want to have the notifications status visible at the top but don't know how to do that

Is there a workaround in the meantime? The only thing I can think of is using keyboard_lastchar or maybe writing a script that compares the text string before and after hitting backspace. If its unchanged then activate your android back code. Luckily, the android back button doesn't actually remove the last character in keyboard_string so I think this is a suitable workaround for now. I won't be able to test it until Sunday
If this is only a subject of concern while virtual keyboard is out, then yes, checking that keyboard_string lost characters would tell them apart.

kupo15

If this is only a subject of concern while virtual keyboard is out, then yes, checking that keyboard_string lost characters would tell them apart.
Thanks! The only question now is when does the keyboard string actually update lol I'll have to play around with it to find the right place to put that check but at least I have a solution that will work to pursue :)