1. Hey! Guest! The 32nd GMC Jam will take place between Feb 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Friday noon) and Feb 25th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Question - Code Different bullets same gun?

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by PabloDiez, Feb 11, 2019 at 12:59 PM.

1. PabloDiez

PabloDiez Member

Hello! I'm just a begginer and I apologise in advance if im asking something someone else has tackled before.
    I'm trying to develop my first game but i've encountered a problem regarding my weapons. Thing is I'd like my player's gun to shoot different projectiles switching its bullets from one shot to another. This is because his gun is a bag of candy and and the bullets are the different coulored candies inside it.
    Does anyone know how i could do this code-wise? Thanks a lot in advance

2. Lady Glitch

Lady Glitch Member

Your different colored candies are all sub-images of the same sprite, right?
    If so, you can choose a random sub-image for your bullet each time you create one.
    Code:
    image_index = irandom(sprite_get_number(sprite_index));
    image_speed = 0;
    You can also choose a random sprite
    Code:
    sprite_index = choose(spr_candy0, spr_candy1, spr_candy2, spr_candy3);

PabloDiez likes this.
  3. PabloDiez

PabloDiez Member

Million thx lady glitch! It worked!!
    Unfortunately now i face another problem: in the sprite i also had a beam of light to simulate the flare of the gunshot, it appeared at the beggining and then with the "animation end" event it went away, but now when i implement the irandom, certain bullets become the flare itself as it is one of the images included inside the sprite. Is there a way that in the irandom...i can skip that image?
    Im very sorry to disturb you again. Thanks a lot

Lady Glitch likes this.
  4. Lady Glitch

Lady Glitch Member

Use irandom_range instead
    Code:
    image_index = irandom_range(1,sprite_get_number(sprite_index));
    This will skip the very first sub-image of your sprite. If you want to skip more, change "1" to the number of sub-images you want to skip, but make sure to move those sub-images at the beginning in your sprite editor.

I hope this helps :)

PabloDiez likes this.
  5. PabloDiez

PabloDiez Member

PERFECT!!! Million thanks Lady Glitch!!! That's exactly what i wanted! Wow! this sure seems like magic hahaha
    Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Lady Glitch likes this.